Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

xj8: melted..i replaced it and car ran..next day it wouldnt start.

Customer Question
the battery trminal post in...
the battery trminal post in front o my xj8 melted. i replaced it and car ran for about 30 minutes until i got home. the next day it wouldn't start. battery showed 2.2 volts. i pulled it out and regarged it to 13 volts, put it back in (read over 12 volts when put in). i turned the key to start it, and there was no power to anything. it just clicked. the fault codes on the dash ALL came in. when i hooked it to the OBD2 it wouldn't even register. when i tried to turn the key again even the fault codes wouldn't come on. tested the battery again, and it read 7.5 volts. won't even shift out of park! any ideas? starter? alternator? TCM?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Jaguar
3/16/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

You are referring to the power cable in the passenger rear of the engine compartment? If you recharge the battery while in the car and you ha ve full voltage will the v ehicle come out of park?
Actually, it was the battery post at the negative terminal under the front hood that melted and was replaced. the battery was fully charged when i put it back in the car, but it wouldn't turn over. just clicks and fault codes/lights. when i tried it again no lights even came on. and the charge had gone down to 7.
You are talking about the cable lug in the passenger side rear of the engine compartment on the plastic enclosure. The cable is held on by a 13mm nut.