Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1998 xk8: convertible..car began stalling..cruising..freeway..speeds…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 xk8...
I have a 1998 xk8 convertible. REcently the car began stalling while cruising under light load at both freeway and city street speeds. After stalling I pull to the side of the road turn the key off and then immediately re-start with o problems. The problem is new,intermittent yet the cat runs great. Fuel is good,injectors clean etc....
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Jaguar
3/10/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Doc. Jaguar, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Doc. Jaguar
Doc. Jaguar, Jaguar Technician

Doc. Jaguar :

this is some what of a common problem. You need a new throttle body assembly. The potentiometer goes bad and buy design it fails to an idle position.

Customer:

The car doesn't default to an idle but completely stalls and then immediately re starts and runs fine.

Doc. Jaguar :

Sorry I'm a little foggy this morning. LOL

Doc. Jaguar :

Do you have any way of checking for fault codes in the engine control module?

Doc. Jaguar :

Call around some larger chain auto part stores will do that for you.

Customer:

Yes, I had the dealer check for fault codes and there were no codes.

Doc. Jaguar :

when it stalls is it quick like the key was turned off? Do the gauges drop instantly? Or does it fill as if it ran out of gas?

Customer:

The majority of the time it feels like the key has been turned off. Once it stumbled and then stalled

Customer:

As far as the gauges go I didn't notice either way-I as too busy dodging traffic and trying to pull to the shoulder.

Doc. Jaguar :

have you had any work or repairs preformed recently?

Customer:

No the car has always run fine.

Doc. Jaguar :

I would suspect a faulty relay. Ill look over the wiring and get back to you in a little while.

Customer:

OK Thanks for your help.

Doc. Jaguar :

Under the hood on the right hand side there is a black box that houses your engine control module and some relays, a total of 7 relays. I would recommend replacing the fuel injector relay and the ignition relay. The front row of relays is mounted running from left to right. The Fuel Injector relay is the 2nd from left and the Injector relay is mounted on the far right. (Passenger side)

Sorry for the delay.

Doc. Jaguar
Doc. Jaguar, Jaguar Technician