Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XK: I have a 2008 Jaguar XK I purchased used a year…

I have a 2008 Jaguar...
I have a 2008 Jaguar XK I purchased used a year ago. Since that time, I have been dealing with a number of electrical “gremlins”. I have managed to work through most of these issues, but I have one remaining gremlin that has me stumped.

If the car sits in my unheated garage for several days and the temperature has been less than 40 degrees, the gas gauge display screen that resides between my speedometer and tachometer will fail to light up when I start the car. Now, if I push the start button three or four times (w/o stepping of the gas pedal) the screen will finally light up and stay lit when the engine is started.

I thought the problem might be connected to a low battery (as many of these gremlins are). However, I have experienced the same screen failure even when the car has been on a battery tender the whole time and therefore fully charged.

So the apparent common denominator for the gas gauge screen not lighting up, is that the car has been sitting for three or more days in a cold garage.

Any suggestions?
1/31/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

A lot of issues on these vehicles are related to low voltage. I know you stated you had a tender on it but we still may have a bad cell. I would recommend having the battery tested. For the fuel gauge this could be a faulty cluster as all the circuits are internal. If it is just the line showing the fuel level that is not on and you see a low fuel level warning then this could possibly be one of the senders. There are two senders on this vehicle due to the saddle design tank.

For the NAV screen if it grays out or just displays the Jaguar logo screen then there is a reprogram for the display that needs to be performed at the dealer first before doing anything else.

Richard,

I do appreciate your answer. FYI, I went through three new batteries in the first few months I owned the car. Also, I do not think the problem is the gas gauge sender because the entire screen is out, not just the gauge. As you suggest, I will have this latest battery tested and see if that is the problem. Is there any chance it could be something else like the ECU?

Ok then I suspect the problem to be in that cluster itself and not the ECU. All the backlighting and graphics are internal in this cluster which is also a control module. Lets first have the battery tested before doing anything else but in the end that instrument cluster module will most likely need to be replaced.
Richard, Jaguar Technician