Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

van..ignition, horn, interior lights, power seats, locks all work…

Customer Question
Electrical issue , 1999 van...
Electrical issue , 1999 van den plas No power at the ignition, horn, interior lights, power seats, locks all work. No life at the dash, I.e. system check when the key is turned. It all worked fine yesterday. Battery is fully charged.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Jaguar
1/30/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Will the shifter release from Park with the ignition ON and foot on t he brake? All electrical systems are working except for the cluster?

No, can not move shifter out of park. Alarm sounds when I attemptRadio does not work either, I have not checked fan motor.Car only has 40k miles.
Ok we may have a faulty instrument cluster or maybe a blown fuse. First lets disconnect the negative battery terminal cable for 10 minutes which will reset all the control modules. I know you stated you tried this but lets try once more. With the battery disconnected lets see if the inertia switch tripped. This is located behind the kick panel on the passenger side. Just depress the top of it to see if it will reset. We also should check ll the fuses in the trunk, under the hood and in the heelboard fuse boxes located behind the carpet cover in between the rear seat cushion and floor. I always recommend checking fuses with a voltmeter checking for battery voltage on both sides of the exposed wire at the top of each fuse.
I did every thing but check voltage across fuses. No meter. Disconnected battery for well over ten minutes, check the trunk, both under hood and both under rear seat fuses boxes. Pulled each one. Radio, window, fan do not work. Locks and seat do.
Ok let me look back through the wiring but please tell me all systems/functions that are not working? Also does the engine start and run normaly?
Last time I drove the car, ran fine started normally.key fob locks and unlocks, mileage reading comes on for 3 seconds or so and then fades when I open the door. I can flash the high beams, parking lights ncome on with the switch, interior lights work as does the garage door opener. Still will not go out of park. There is no sound when turning the key to start, no click, nothing. The action is normal.I also check the inertia switch, it was not triggered.
Please check fuse #5 and #7 both 15 amps in that driver side heelboard fuse box.
Both good, took out and replaced again, no change.
Ok we most likely have a problem with the body processor module which controls these functions. It is located behind the glove box under the passenger side dash. There is a large connector with a 10mm bolt on it for this module so we need to make sure the connector is tight.
Is the module gray,thin,about 5x5 inches, if so the bolt on the bottom is tight.
Ok without a Jag scan tool this will be difficult to diagnose. We may have a problem with hat BPM, instrument cluster or switch on the shifter for the transmission park switch. We can do some electrical tests with a digital voltmeter if you have one and know how to use it.
First I need to get a new volt meter, i am going to call it quits for tonite but would like to pick this back up monday evening after work. Sorry to make you work so hard. Can we start with the easy stuff first. Any by passes we can do to at least get it started so I can drive to a mechanic with the scan device?
Yes we can continue tomorrow evening. In the meantime I will try to post some tests you can do to get started.
Great
Ok we will continue Monday.