Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar X type: car started..the brake pedal, it..leaking..brake fluid…

Customer Question
Jaguar X type 2002 Auto...
Jaguar X type 2002 Auto has excessive handbrake travel and my mechanic cannot figure out how to adjust it... also yesterday the car started traveling forward when my foot was firmly on the brake pedal, it is not leaking any brake fluid and the fault is intermittant when I am at a complete stop at lights. It stops fine but starts travelling and it takes my full body weight on the brake to stop the car! Please helps
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Jaguar
1/20/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

There is no adjustment on the parking brake unless the hand brake lever is replaced as it will have a threaded end where the cables go into. As far as the braking problem is the pedal hard to push when this occurs or does the pedal drop to the floor.

There is no sudden drop to the floor. there is usually a little bit of give if my foot is on the brake for a while (like at lights) the car starts travelling and I push as hard as I can to get it to stop, but the brake pedal feels normal under foot
You will notice the pedal drop some if the pedal is pressed and held down for a while. Your concern is that the brake pedal feel is normal but the vehicle does not stop?

My concerns are

that the car starts moving forward after I have come to a complete stop and have been sitting there stopped

It takes my full weight on the pedal to stop it again

It seems to be braking normally at all other times

it doesn't happen every time I am stopped

Do you feel the vehicle accelerating like the throttle is opening?
No, just like it's moving forward in drive but with no acceleration from throttle. It's like the brakes get tired and forget to work. there is no abnormal noise or feel from the car
Ok we may have a problem with the brake booster. I see issues with the check valve in the booster hose that goes into the intake manifold. I would check that first. There is also a seal in the fitting on the intake that the hose goes into which can also cause this if it is leaking.
Richard, Jaguar Technician