Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

99 s type: transmisson..parts replaced..drove fine..about 20 mph…

I have a 99 s...
I have a 99 s type a transmisson messege kept coming up as a fault I had it checked out and new parts replaced but messege still came on I have been told that I need to replace the torconverter the car has drove fine for last few months with out it been done but now the car will only travel about 800yards at about 20 mph is this because I did not replace the torconverter and if I replace it now will this solve the problems. Bobby
1/19/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome back to justanswer.comDo you know what the stored fault code number is?

Hi I dont have a code yet as I was going to work today when this started to happen and I have managed to get the vehicle back to my drive, but as I have already spent £2500 on the transmisson problens with this car I am reluctant to spent any more money if it is still not going to put it right as I bought it for only £2100, I hope to have a look at the car tomorrow to see if it will move as the only way I could get the vehicle back home was to switch everything of to reset the computers and move it a little bit at a time. Bobby

Ok I will need to know the stored fault code. Also if you can get me the list and or part numbers of what was replaced this will also help.

Hi I have been told to day that I need to replace the gearbox and that it will cost £2544 to do this the car is not worth that amount of money, but if I could fit one my self for less it would be worth it to me. Can you tell me what I need to look for to find the right replacement as I have read that they must be within the same VIN range. Bobby

Can I have the last six of your VIN?

Hi the last six of VIN is L17844, I have heard that there are cables on these gearbox when they say this are they talking about the plug in cables on the box? Bobby

Let me run the VIN for you.

Hi again I have got a second hand transmisson box for my s type can you tell me where the filler plug hole is and the level hole, as the box has to plug holes on the left handside that can be remove with a spanner and a plug at the end of the box by prop shaft input that is removed with an allen key.

the VIN is L17844.

Dose putting oil in the gearbox also lubricate the torque converter or do I have to put oil some were else. Bobby

First remove the small center level plug from the large drain plug. Remove the fill plug which is the 8mm allen/hex plug on the rear tail housing. Fill with fluid til it leaks out of the level plug. Install but do not fully tighten both plugs. Start the engine and engage all gears allowing the transmission fluid to warm. Then remove both plugs and fill with fluid til a steady flow comes out the level plug. Install both plugs and this should fill the complete unit. It must be done on a level surface or lift.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hi I am about to drop the gearbox, but on the replacement one I can see 4 bolts on the face of the torque converter that need to have nuts put on them, so I take it that the old one must also have them so can you tell me how these nuts are remove while the box is still fitted.bobby

Hi i am sorry I this was still open, I am about to drop the gearbox out of my 1999 s type jag but on the torque converter face of the replacement box there are 4 bolts with 15mm nuts, so I take it that the old box that I am about to drop out also has these bolts on the face of the torque converter and I dont know if they need to be taken of before the box is dropped or can they be removed after I have the gearbox of, my son seems to think that they have to be removed via the starter motor hole as these bolts are bolted to something inside the box. Bobby

Yes remove these four nuts. You need to remove the rubber cover on the bottom front of the transmission to access and remove these nuts. You need to rotate the engine clockwise around to get to all the nuts.

Hi Richard I have now fitted the second hand gearbox into my 1999 s type jag filled it with oil and start it up up it into all the gears but when I try to put it back into park there is a grinding noise from the box before it drops into the park, is there some thing that I have to adjust because when I put it into N it wont light up until I move the selector to drive then back to N. Bobby

Sounds like we may have to adjust the shifter cable but this usually will not cause any grinding noises unless the park pawl lock was damaged inside the unit.

We have tried things again, this time we put the prop shaft & exhaust back on, the shifter moves smoothly from D to P ok but only grinds if put into R and then to P.

If I drive the car like this will it do any damage to the box,as I feel that the park pawl lock is a big job and dont know were to start.

I recommend we contact the supplier to see if they can source out another unit as this one does seem to have internal issues.

Hi Richard well a new day we have run the car with it in D for 30 mins checked the oil in the gearbox and topped this up as you informed us, gear shifer now move without any problems so we put the car on the ground and have driven it for 17 miles at 3.6 miles Gearbox fault came up on dash as it did with the old box but other than that the box works fine. Could the fault message from the old box be still log in the ECU and would I have to take it to the dealer to have it re set.

I do not think this fault warning is from the old box. To be sure we will need to hook up a compatible scan tool and read the codes from the PCM.
Sorry Richard I thought the question that I ask yesterday was still open, I have just fitted a second hand gearbox to my 1997 s type jag, yesterday after we put it in it was making a grinding noise when we shifted from R to P but was fine from D to P, you said that it could be the park spawl lock damage in the unit and that we should take the unit back to supplier. But today I decided to have another go so I put it into D and let it run for 30 min while still on stands, I then checked the transmission oil & topped it up like you told me to do before we then tried the shifer again and it moved throught all the gears fine no noise, I we put the car on the ground and drove it at 3.6 miles at came up on the dash to say that there was a gearbox fault ( but this would come on when the old box was in before it give up completely ) I stopped the car switched everything of then restarted the car and drove it for another 13 mile before the message came on again this use to happen with the old gear all the time and I had new sencors fitted, new value fitted and it still keep coming on before the old box give up the ghost one morning on the way to work. So I would like to know if it is possible that this message is log in the ECU memory from the old box and that I might have to take it to a dealer to have it all reset.
Yes lets have the ECU cleared but before the faults are cleared see if you can get the fault code number to see if it returns after the reset.
Hi Richard back again my s type is booked in tomorrow for its MOT 7 to have the transmossion box ECU reset as you advised, but I have anyother fault I would like you to help me with. The airbag warning light on the dash stays on, I have counted the light flashes 3 & 6 (36) this is the code I think do you know what it means and can I fix it. Bobby

That code 36 is for the driver side seat airbag. What usually happens is that the wires going to the yellow connector under the seat break.

can I repair the wiring without setting the air bags off or do I have to take it to the dealer to get it done.

You can but you always need to be careful when working around air bags. If you are not comfortable then by all means take it to the dealer.