Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1998 Jaguar: torque converter..the AC recharged..car back…

I have a 1998 Jaguar...
I have a 1998 Jaguar. I took it to the Jaguar dealer to have the torque converter and the transmission replaced and the AC recharged. After receiving the car back and a cost of $5,200 dollars, I started receiving a transmission fault light. I also noticed that the AC was not getting cold. I returned the car back to the dealer for the 2nd time, and they stated that they could not duplicate the problem. Although the dealer added more freion to my car, the third time I returned the car, because I had a fluid leak and there was a transmission fault light on. My question is: if the dealer replaced the transmission and the torque converter, shouldn't they have noticed a bad cable and switch or should the cable and the switch been replaced when the dealer replaced the two new units? they are now telliing me it will cost an additional $1,000 to replace the cable. please provide your expert opion on if this is ligitmate or I am being taken to the cleaners by this dealer.
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/16/2012
Jaguar Mechanic: Doc. Jaguar, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Doc. Jaguar
Doc. Jaguar, Jaguar Technician

Doc. Jaguar :

Unfortunately I see this on a daily basses. Most of the dealer technicians are not mechanics. They rely on computer diagnostic equipment in order to repair the vehicles. The old school technicians/mechanics use the computer diagnostic equipment as a starting point to repair vehicles. Don’t get me wrong the equipment we have now is very useful and will help a good technician repair your vehicle, but unfortunately the equipment is more then not used in the wrong way. In short if the person that replaced your transmission had half a brain he or she would have noticed the J-Gate (shifter) and cable had problems and needed to be repaired and or replaced when the vehicle was check out and diagnosed in the first place.

Doc. Jaguar :

On your repair order you should see a list of fault codes. I would be interested in knowing what they were. Maybe you only needed the shifter and cable in the first place.

Customer:

Copies of the repairs are in my office and today is a federal holiday, therefore I can send you the faults codes tomorrow.

Doc. Jaguar :

sounds good, let me know when you can.

Doc. Jaguar :

Were you able to get the fault codes?

Customer:

I spoke to the service advisor today and she stated they did not put any service fault/codes on my invoices. I ask how were they able to repair my car without a proper diagnostic or fault code. she restated that they did not need a code to repair the trnsmission or the torque converter.

Doc. Jaguar :

Sounds a little fishy to me. With out diagnostic codes how would they even know were to start? This is not a 1950 Ford we are dealing with. Any transmission problem small or large will flag a code. At the dealer all (DTCs) diagnostic trouble codes must be recorded as a part of there diagnoses and repairs. Sorry but you got DEALER-ED :-(

Doc. Jaguar
Doc. Jaguar, Jaguar Technician