Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

starting fluid..I cleaned all spark plugs and checked all coil packs…

Customer Question
I followed your advice and...
I followed your advice and did starting fluid and it never fired just kept turning. So I cleaned all spark plugs and checked all coil packs. They all have spark. I talked to the old owner and they said car was running fine until they hit a deer,but they drove it after that. It only sat for a month. I have a spare jag that works and I can swap parts to see if I can find the problem. What should I try next? Thanks
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
11/13/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

When you removed the plugs did you try squirting oil down into the cylinders? Were the plugs wet with fuel? Did you try starting the engine in neutral?

Richard, I'm sure get this alot. WOW, excellent job!! The oil tip worked and putting it in neutral. Bam the car starts normal every time. So the only thing left is the transmission issue and code P1722. It drives in reverse fine but when put in drive it jerks,clunks into gear and moves forward for a second. Then it acts like I shifted it into neutral and you can rev the motor not going anywhere and I hear no obvious loud noises. I see no signs tranny fluid anywhere. This light fender bender with deer barley dented the hood. Looks like no cracks in radiator area or tranny lines. Maybe the deer slide under car snaged a line or something electrical that would make it not stay in gear. Thanks again!!!
FYI, I shifted it into all gears a few times then reved the motor up it clucked into gear. At least now it moves forward and reverse. The transmission fault code came up and I think its in safe mode. Im gonna jack the car up and see if can see something that looks phsyically out of place. Any tips on what and where to look for? Thanks again!!

Glad you are back up and running.

That fault code is for a mechanical failure. The usual failure of the transmission is a burnt forward clutch or cracked drum. What usually happens is the engine will rev up then bang into gear when accelerating from a stop. Since the gearbox fault light is on and the code logged is a P1722 for stall speed. In this case the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced. Of course fluid level should be checked first but in most cases it is not that easy of a fix.

graphic

Richard, Jaguar Technician
Ok, Thats not good :( Ive got it jacked up in the air. How do I check level. I see the drain plug on bottom of tranny. Looks like two plugs up a little hire on passenger side and little towards the rear of drain plug? what kind of tranny fluid?
Do you still need assistance?