Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2003 Jaguar S type R: serviced..Castrol BMW synthetic long life oil…

Customer Question
Have a 2003 Jaguar...
Have a 2003 Jaguar S type R serviced. They used Castrol BMW synthetic long life oil 5/30. Have always regular Castrol. Jaguar says do not use synthetic on V6's but did not mention V8's.

question 2 When transmission shifts 2nd to 3rd to 4th and to 5th it makes "burp" noise that to me sounds like pressure relieve valve. If you can not charge me for two questions i'll re ask it.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Jaguar
11/9/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome back to justanswer.com

Jag recommends conventional Castrol 5W 30. The oil we use is a synthetic blend. The squeak or hoot sound is coming from the transmission and the remedy is to install an additive to the transmission fluid.

I have about 50 miles on the synthetic oil,can i drain it and add conventional Castrol or does it need to be flush. Has this caused ant damage. What kind or brand of additive do I need to add to transmission fluid and how much.
You can simply drain and fill the oil. There will be no need to flush the engine. For this transmission additive since there is no dipstick it will be difficult to do. First you need to get the additive from the dealer then drain about one liter of fluid by removing the transmission pan plug. Install the plug then you need to remove the fill plug on the side of the trans and with a suction gun push the additive in the fill plug opening. Also get some fluid for top off. Once full the fluid will flow back out. Install but do not fully tighten the plug. Start the engine and go through each gear then with the engine running remove that fill plug and add fluid again. This need to be done on a level surface of lift. If you are not comfortable in doing this leave it up to a professional.
Richard, Jaguar Technician