Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2004 X-Type: parked..the tire shop..Transmission Fault..intermittent…

Customer Question
I just parked my 2004...
I just parked my 2004 X-Type (3.0) at the tire shop and now it will not start. When I first turned on the key I got a "Transmission Fault" light, but that light is now intermittent. I've moved the shift lever to ensure it is in place, and have tried moving the lever (in "P") while the key is turned "on". The started will not engage. Does this sound familiar?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Jaguar
10/22/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

So the engine will not crank but the shifter will release from park with the ignition on and foot on the brake? If so will the engine start in neutral?

With the key on, and the brake pedal pressed, the shift lever will NOT move out of park.
Ok I think the inertia switch has tripped. Locate the inertia switch located behind the passenger front kick panel. This is the lower corner of the dash where the passengers right foot will be. There is a hole in the side of the panel where you can put your finger through to depress the top of the switch which will reset it.
Let me get to the vehicle and check.
OK let me know.
I tried to start the car prior to checking the inertia switch and it started. Does the inertia switch automatically reset if it is tripped? Is there something else that could have been causing the car to start?
No the inertia switch will not reset itself. First we should make sure the battery connections are clean and secure. The problem maybe with the CAN network. The CAN is the twisted pair network in which all the chassis and powertrain control modules "talk" to each other. These modules are the ABS, ECM, TCM, CCM, J gate, and Instrument Pack. If nay one module is offline or has lost power or ground this problem will happen. Diagnosing this without a Jag tool can be difficult but we can do a test with a voltmeter. With the Jag tool we can read all the fault codes in every module which may show which control modules have lost communication. I have seen issues with the wire harness behind the dash shorting out intermittently causing this. If you could or have an assistant go under the driver side dash and look directly above the brake pedal. You will see a V shaped piece of metal sticking up and the dash harness running just in back of this bracket. SOmetimes the harness will chafe on this causing a short. Some other issues I see are with the shifter itself and loose connections on the wire connectors clipped next to the fuse box under the driver side dash.
Richard, Jaguar Technician