Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

98 XK8: Convertible..Jaguar..me the top shock mounts are good..bolts…

Hi, I have a '98...
Hi, I have a '98 XK8 Convertible. My Jaguar mechanic tells me the top shock mounts are good. And said to adjust the front camber he needs an eccentric fulcrum bolts, he said the Toe setting is good and not to worry about the camber. Well now I am worried. I contacted the local Jaguar dealer and they told me the only part they have is JZB1000-86 and it is NOT an Eccentric Fulcrum type bolt. My search on the Internet found several, however all for different models (4-door). I am not sure the Jaguar dealer is being straight, they are telling me to replace the struts, mounts, etc to get the camber in spec...
Is there a Eccentric Fulcrum bolt for the Front end?
10/11/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 10 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. Please DON’T hit accept until you are completely satisfied with the answer. About your vehicle.

I wonder if the dealer even knows what they have. That number bolt should be an eccentric type bolt, (if they look close at it)

FRONT LOWER CONTROL ARM ECCENTRIC BOLT FOR CAMBER ADJUSTMENT FITS 1997-2006 XK8 XKR

Accessed on 10/10/2011 from http://jaguar-parts.jagbits.com/jzb100086

Both ends of the eccentric fulcrum bolt, i.e. the threaded section and the head are concentric with the holes in the crossbeam fulcrum flanges. However, the center section of the bolt (arrowed), which retains the wishbone rear bush, is eccentric to the two ends of the bolt. When the bolt is installed; rotation of the bolt will cause the lower-wishbone rear arm to move in and out.

A raised strip (arrowed) on the bolt head flange indicates the position of the bolts eccentric section, to aid positioning when adjusting the camber. The function of the eccentric bolt when it is rotated, is to increase or decrease the distance between the lower-wishbone fulcrum center at the crossbeam and the ball joint center, therefore altering the camber angle.

Hi, How many bolts are required for the front end? two or four?

*

*

*

*

*
*

Just 2 for the front. One on each side and they go in the rear fulcrum of the wishbone.

graphic

Courtesy of Google images/Jaguar/wishbone

Another question regarding the JZB 1000-86 bolt.

Did my 1998 XK8 come with this bolt from the factory? or was this bolt meant to be added later?

Do the 2001 XK8's (later XK8) have this part from the factory?

Regards,

GG

This is all I have on that, thanks

The front suspension on vehicles up to VIN 031302 does not provide the facility to adjust the camber angle. This can only be achieved by replacing the original rear fulcrum-bolt of the lower-wishbone, with an eccentric fulcrum-bolt.

*

*

*

*

*
*

1-2 more questions and we are done...

My 1998 XK8 last six digits of the VIN are: 022656. So I can assume my vehicle did NOT come from the factory with these bolts, Correct?

I have another 2001 XK8 with VIN: SAJDA42C91NA11469 (yes I have 2). Does this vehicle come from the factory with the Eccentric bolts? or do I need the bolts for it also?

Correct, vehicles up to VIN 031302 does not provide the facility to adjust the camber.

The 2001 should already have them installed.

*

*

*

*

*
*

Jerry, Master Mechanic