Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1998 XJ8: 164,000 miles all of a sudden I felt a jerk..drove..reverse…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 XJ8...
I have a 1998 XJ8 and it has 164,000 miles all of a sudden I felt a jerk when I started the car today...............and then another jerk when I stopped at a light and started to go again..............then I drove about 15 miles and stopped to get a bite to eat and could not reverse the car to get into a parking spot.................I said my prayers and got home hoping no light changed to red because each time I stiopped my car seemed like it did not want to start up again............sluggish.................what is the problem...............?

About 1 week ago In over a curb and hit the front bottom of the car on cement curb..........could this have caused the problem ? My car reads TRANSMISSION FAULT ???

PLEASE HELP ME............

CAROL
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
9/13/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello Carol and welcome to justanswer.com Jaguar

Unfortunately I do not have good news. When the gearbox fault warning comes on the TCM (Transmission Control Module) has detected an electrical or mechanical fault. Since that warning is on there will be fault codes stored in the TCM that need to be read with a compatible scan tool. The usual failure of the transmission is a burnt or cracked forward drum/clutch. What usually happens is the engine will rev up then bang into gear when accelerating from a stop. Since the gearbox fault light is on the code logged is most likely a P1722 for stall speed. Of course I can only give you what I see and we will need the fault codes to properly diagnose the problem. I recommend a trip to your local dealer or Jag specialist shop but try a parts store like pepboys or autozone as they will usually scan for these codes at no charge. Once you have the stored codes let me know. Of course fluid level and condition should be checked first but in most cases it is not that easy of a fix. Since there is no dip stick on this unit it is not that easy to check the fluid level.

i HIT THE BOTTOM OF THE FRONT PART OF THE CAR ON A CEMENT CURB.........COULD THAT HAVE CRACKED THE DRUM ? AND ALSO MY CAR WAS IN BECAUSE THE DOOR HANDLE BROKE........IT WAS REPLACED AND WHEN IT WAS REPLACED THE LIGHTS ON MY DASHBOARD AND MY WINDOW WOULD NOT WORK.................COULD THIS ALL BE CONNECTED..................?
Relist: Other.
Never answered my second question........received half the answer.........not satisfied........cancel my free 30ty day trial and do not charge me..........not happy at all

Carol DeChiro

Sorry for the delay.

Would you still like assistance?