Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

my 1998 xj8l makes a groaning/ grinding noise at 40 miles..faster…

my 1998 xj8l makes a...
my 1998 xj8l makes a groaning/ grinding noise at 40 miles an hour then stops when I go faster.
Answered in 3 days by:
9/14/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome back to justanswer.com

Do you hear the noise under 40 mph? Does the noise change when turning or making quick steering maneuvers?

No on both. I just took the car to Jaguar and they told me to even see what is wrong it's 1500 to open the engine and then potentially 10,000 to rebuild it, they told me to get rid of the car. too bad, I love my car.
So they determined the noise to be in the engine?
no they did not I don't think they wanted to deal with the car it's old.
Wow I am surprised as we work on all Jags regardless of age. Do you hear this noise from the front, directly underneath you or in the rear? When do you start hearing this noise?
Noise occurs at 40 mph and only at 40 it goes away slower or faster , it sound like it's coming from under car. I have now taken the Jaguar to an indenpendent mechanic and Jaguar. I have spoent 300 trying to ge this evaluated with no results.

Jaguar told me to park the car and not drive it much till I turn it in for a new a car and the independent mechanic said, well if the noise does not get worse don't worry about it, but it is getting worse. I am just trying to figure out if I should sell the car now, I was going to
paint it, but I don't want to if it has major problems.
Based on your description this noise is in the transmission specifically the torque converter. Drive your vehicle in sport mode and see if the noise is still present.
Richard, Jaguar Technician