Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

200JAGUAR: I turned theswitch, massage camesup gearboxjam..parked…

Customer Question
I have 200 JAGUAR X-Typre...

I have 200 JAGUAR X-Typre When I turned the switch, massage cames up gearbox jam. What is the perobles. Is it safe to drive to the dealerDealer

Car was fine when parked at home, this rouble noticed next day while taking the car out.

Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
9/6/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

When the Gearbox fault warning message comes on the transmission control module will limit the vehicle to a fixed fourth gear and store a fault code. I see issues with the torque converters as well as software reprogramming for this gearbox fault warning. We would need to see what the fault codes are. A Jag service tool will be needed to read the codes in the transmission control module but you should first try your local pepboys or autozone as they will usually scan for codes at no charge. They will only be able to communicate with the engine control module but sometimes the code is stored in both the ECM and TCM. It also may not necessarily be a transmission problem but can be an electronic throttle problem. It also can be caused by low fluid level but since there is no dipstick a dealer or shop will need to check the fluid level.

Where you add transmission fluid to this car.

Transmission Fluid Drain and Refill

• Raise and support the vehicle
  • Place a suitable container under the transmission drain plug
  • Remove the transmission drain plug
  • Install the transmission drain plug; Tighten to 45 Nm
  • Lower the vehicle
  • Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap
  • Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification
  • Fill the automatic transmission with up to 8 litres of automatic transmission fluid through the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe
  • Carry out a fluid level check and adjustment

Transmission Fluid Level Check

• Make sure J-Gate shift selector is in the Park position
  • With the engine running and the foot brake applied, move the J-Gate shift selector through ' P-R-N-D-4-3-2' and back to the ' P' position to circulate the automatic transmission fluid until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F)
  • When the automatic transmission fluid temperature reaches 35°C (95°F) check that the selector lever is in the ' P' position raise the vehicle
  • With the engine running, remove the automatic transmission fluid level tube plug, Remove and discard the level plug and sealing washer
  • If the automatic transmission fluid does not come out of the transmission fluid level tube the automatic transmission fluid level is insufficient. If this is the case add the automatic transmission fluid in 0.5 litre units into the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe until the automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube
  • Make sure the automatic transmission fluid temperature does not exceed 40°C (104°F). If the automatic transmission fluid temperature does exceed 40°C (104°F) stop the automatic transmission fluid level check and allow the automatic transmission fluid to cool until the temperature reaches 30 to 40°C (86 to 104°F).
  • Allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).
  • If when the automatic transmission fluid level plug is first removed and automatic transmission fluid comes out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube, allow the automatic transmission fluid to come out of the automatic transmission fluid level tube until the overflow stops at a temperature of no more than 40°C (104°F).
  • Install the transmission fluid level plug, Install a new level plug and sealing washer, Tighten to 15 Nm
  • Install the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap
  • Lower the vehicle

Here are some pictures to help locate the drain, fill, and level check plugs:

View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image

1. Transmission Drain Plug (bolt)

View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image

2. Transmission Fill Plug (Rubber Bung)

View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image
View Full Image

3. Transmission Level Check Plug (bolt) __________________