Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2005 S type: battery was run..door..it checked, they said i was good…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 S...
I have a 2005 S type R. the battery was run down from the door being left open all night. I charged the battery and had it checked, they said i was good. the car would not start. I bought a new battery and tried and again nothing. When I looked down at the shifter the light for park was not on. If I try to mov the shifter to Neutral in will not move more than a 1/4 onf an inch. The R light lights up and a beeping noise starts. I think it lost its place when the battery died. Please help. The dealer said have the tow truck driver disconect the linkage to get it out of the garage, this does not sound right. The car worked perfect until the this happened.
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Jaguar
8/16/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 10 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

You may have a problem with t he shifter or cable but there may be a simple solution to this problem. You most likely have loose shift cable bolts. If you look under the driver side of your vehicle you will see the shifter cable where is attaches to the transmission. There are two 8mm bolts holding the cable to the trans. They may be loose or have even fell out. You will need to jack up the driver side of your vehicle.

How could this happen when the battery dies? the car worked perfect up until this point
Honestly I think this is just a coincidence. Look under your vehicle and I'll bet you see loose or missing bolts.
I will check it out when I get home from work. I will let you know the results tomorrow Thank You
Sounds good.
Ok, sorry about the delay, I have a cold. I went under the car and checked the 2- 8mm bolts. one bolt is missing and the other is tight. the bracket has not moved from the original position. the one thing that i did notice when i was under the car was about aXXXXXof transmission fluid on the ground. I checked under the hood for a dip stick and found none for the trans. running out of ideas and i dont want to have this towed to the dealer. thanks
If one is missing this can be the problem. WHen you move the shifter the cable will move out of position. Have an assistant move the shifter out of park while you hold that bracket in place. Then you can install a new bolt. For the fluid leak this would not cause the problem you are having but it should be addressed. There is no dipstick on this transmission so it is checked by removing the filler plug on the passenger side rear of the case.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Richard,

thank you it was the bolt, it took forever to get under the car. once i got under there i found the bolt and put it back in place

Good job. I am glad everything worked out. Thanks for using justanswer.com.