Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar S-Type: controls, air con..CD player..switches..Diagnostic…

Customer Question
Jaguar S-Type 2002 Auto. Have two...
Jaguar S-Type 2002 Auto.
Have two problems.
1) Drivers Seat Jammed on one side, left when sitting in car, the forward/reverse switch sets the motor in action but seat does not move.
2) Have lost all controls, air con, radio, CD player, Sat Nav touch screen, all switches around Sat Nav screen. Diagnostic don't give reason, two Garages tried and failed.
All fuses(every fuse checked) all OK. Told it could be Sat Nav optics failure, told its the CD stack player problem, told its because battery was disconnect and re-connected. Could write a book on what I have been told. Now ready to start from scratch and try anything in sequential order. Need some urgent help! Love the car!

Kind regards
Bill
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
7/22/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

I should be able to assist you but I will need some additional information. Left hand or right hand driver vehicle? Can you supply me with the last six digits of your VIN? FOr the seat it is just the driver seat that will not move forward or rear ward? DO all other seat motors function? For the controls I assume you have a blank screen and no audio? Is there a flashing 50 or 51 in the small LCD screen under the touchscreen?

Right Hand Drive

Full VIN: AC01N83JM65O51

Only drivers seat won't go forward or back, tilt is OK. Other seats in car OK.

Blank Screen no audio yes flashing 50/51 in small screen under touch screen.

OK give me a minute to run this VIN.
Additional information can't move seat forward to get at screws at back to remove seat, from track, can get to the front ones.
Ok lets start with the nav screen. This is usually a faulty control module. You can try removing the disc and disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes. This may work 1 out of 100 but it is worth a shot. The module will need to be replaced. For the seat I suspect we have a faulty fore aft motor. Since the seat will not go back far enough to remove those front bolts this will be difficult to do. You can remove the rear bolts then slide a piece of metal under the track to elevate it some. This way we can get on the motor to see if it is moving.

Please explain why disconnecting the battery lead and removing the disc will possible make any difference. Would expect some form of explanation as to the relevance of what you are asking me to do! Have replaced battery before following correct procedures from the manual, at that time it had no effect on the Audio System or Sat Nav. Don't understand why everything is dead, audio system, sat nav, climate control, fan, and air conditioning. I would suspect no power is getting through to the main cluster of instruments that's why double checked all the fuses.

With regards to your comments about the seat problem. If you re-read the additional information I sent, I explained that the seat will not go forward therefore I cannot get to the retaining screws at the back of the seat. You advise me to undo these? Did you not read the information. Happy to pay, but need some good advice.

Kind regards

Bill

Your problem is caused by the NAV control module. IN some cases taking the power away from the unit resets it which is why I was recommending disconnecting the battery.

Sorry I misread about the seat. Disconnect those inverted Torx bolts in the front and wedge the front of the seat up.