Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2002 S-type: transmision..RPMs..the road and I have to shift…

Customer Question
I have a 2002 S-type...
I have a 2002 S-type. when I shift it into drive there is a delay before the transmision will allow the car to move. then the engine RPMs will clime but the car will just put down the road and I have to shift into first to get it go and then shift into drive. the check ingine light will come on and log a code 1388
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
7/11/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Does the transmission fault message also come on? Can you supply me with the last six digits of your VIN?
A fault message does not appear for the transmission. the last six are M39260
Ok first the transmission issue may be as simple as a stretched or out of adjustment cable for the delayed engagement. There was also a PCM reprogram and a trans adaption reset for the delayed engagement. The fault code is for the variable valve timing. We should first check the oil level and condition. There is also a PCM reprogram for this code so the update along with the cable may repair both problems.