Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar XK-8 Good Morning, My name is XXXXX XXXXX Im writing in…

Customer Question
Good Morning, My name is...
Good Morning, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m writing in regards XXXXX XXXXX run problem with my 2000 year model, Xk-8 Jaguar currently with 111688 odometer miles. My problem is as follows! I’ve been experiencing a slow coolant leak at the right rear engine/fire wall area. I drove the Jag to my yard {about 2 miles with no problem}, opened the hood and removed the air and attaching breather tubes from the air filter housing to the throttle body in order to gain visual access to the Rt. rear area of the engine. In starting the engine it started normal then died, I then tried starting it once again. But only this time I incurred codes indicating the unit was in a limp mode. Assuming the ECM had not received a signal from the Mass Air Flow Sensor I reinstalled the air tubes and tried starting the engine once again with the same results. As I do not have a scanner I then loaded the Jaguar and trailer-ed it to a local Jag dealer. The dealer contacted me stating the throttle body was defective and required replacement at a cost of $2,600.00. In a continued phone conversation with the technician he stated that two codes PO122 & PO232 were set and that he had tried to clear the codes. I would greatly appreciate any and all thoughts!

Respectfully, Ken
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/29/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

I assume the fault codes were P0122 and P0222 which both are for the throttle position sensor. There are two sensors in the one assembly and it is not serviceable separate from the throttle unit since it is electronic. Assuming the wiring has been checked to rule that out you will need to replace the throttle. As far as the cost unfortunately it is accurate. I recommend coventrywest.com, jagbits.com, jaguarpartscenter.com, motorcarsltd.com, britishparts.com, welshent.com, or jaggraveyard.com as they all specialize in discounted Jag parts. Also bba-reman.com has rebuilt units.

Good Morning Richard,

Thank you for your quick response. I do apologize how ever for not getting back to you a little quicker as I was away from computer access. I will be accepting your answer @ $ 28.00 although not what I wonted to hear I feel you are right on. In regards XXXXX XXXXX # XXXXX that you identified should have been PO222, is there such a code {PO232} for the throttle passion sensors being defective and is it customary or common for these sensors to go out without warning?

P.S. I just retired from Univ. Calif. Santa Cruz after 28 yrs. in Fleet Mgt. I would like to keep in contact if you are open to conversation. My cell # XXXXX {831}(NNN) NNN-NNNNif you so desire to call.

Once again, thank you very much Richard.

Respectfully,

Kenneth Taul

There is a code P0232 which is fuel pump pressure but this does not apply to your engine management system. I do see these throttle sensors fail without any warning. Unfortunately we can not have any contact outside this site as it is against policy. If you choose to authorize payment please click the green accept link. We can still go back and forth on this page regarding this. If you ever have any additional questions un related you can open a new question and request me to answer it.
Richard, Jaguar Technician