How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Category: Jaguar
Satisfied Customers: 15511
Experience:  12 years at a Ford/Lincoln Mercury and Jaguar dealer as technician and shop foreman.
Type Your Jaguar Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Jaguar X-Type How do you replace rear shocks on a 2003 x-type

Resolved Question:

How do you replace rear shocks on a 2003 x-type? how do you get to top mount?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Jaguar
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to


The rear shocks are easy to replace. Remove the wheel/tire and then support the rear control arm with a jack. Loosen ans remove the lower shock bolt which should be a 18mm then use a long extension and remove the two `3mm nuts on the top of the shock.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have not looked at the shocks yet, just getting my ducks in a row. So, the top shock mounts are accessed from under neath the car...not inside the passenger compartment? I am hoping this fixes a clunking sound I get when going over bumps.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Yes the shock is separate from the spring so they are removed from underneath. As far as the noise you should check the short arms in the front of the shock as the bushings will loosen up. You should also check to make sure the rear sway bar is not loose as there may be a problem with a worn bushing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok. WIll do. I am assuming that I should be able to move either the little arm in front of the shock or the sway bar if there is a worn busing or a nut loose. Otherwise I will proceed with the shock replacement.



Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
Yes exactly. You can try to move the sway bar by hand but you will need a pry bar to see if the arm moves.
Richard and other Jaguar Specialists are ready to help you