Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2003 Jaguar S-Type R: rebuilt for a gearbox fault message…

Customer Question
I just had my 2003...
I just had my 2003 Jaguar S-Type R transmission rebuilt for a gearbox fault message. After picking it up I got the same message and took it back and they tried to re-program the valve body. They said they needed to order a valve body and I have been waiting three weeks for them to get one in. They say they are hard to find. I experienced the problem initially back on 4-22-2010 and Jaguar reprogrammed the transmission and engine E.C.U. The problem occurred again on 1-06-2011. They replaced the transmission pan at that time because it was 2 quarts low caused by leaking. The light came back on again 2-09-2011. Jaguar replaced a weak battery saying it could be setting the code. The problem occurred again on 2-14-2011 and Jaguar said the transmission needed to be replaced. They referred me to A+ Transmission to gave it rebuilt since the warranty company would not pay for a new transmission. After rebuilding the transission I got the same message within days of driving. So now I'm still waiting on a valve body three weeks later. Any advice? The car seems to shift OK, but sometimes it gets stuck in the gear when the fault message comes on. Before being rebuilt it would seem to always hang up in the gear and I would have to turn it off and back on to reset the fault.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
4/8/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

On any of your paper work from the dealer does it show any fault code numbers or fault descriptions? Can I have the last six digits of your VIN?

No codes or descriptions. My VIN # XXXXX XXXXX
Ok if the TCM was reprogrammed but certain faults are still present the TCM/valve body will need to be replaced. A new unit is available from Jag so they must be trying to locate a used one. The problem is the part can only be sourced from a 2003 supercharged as the 2004 and up is a different part number.
They told me they were ordering the part from Jaguar. Should it take this long to get one from them? It's odd that they charged me for one when they rebuilt the transmission and that only took a week.
No it should not. I just checked and new parts are in stock locally so it should have taken less than one week.
Richard, Jaguar Technician