Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

S type: 3L..V6..Jaguar dealer seems unable to pinpoint fault..VIC…

Customer Question
I have just purchased an...
I have just purchased an S type 12/2002 3L V6. Jaguar dealer seems unable to pinpoint fault for the last 3 weeks! I am waiting in a hotel for this to be repaired before driving it down to Melbourne VIC and am desperate. The airflow meter has been replaced - I believe this was faulty and allowing huge amounts of fuel through 1 bank. The car bunny hops on take off. Injectors have been cleaned & 6 new plugs etc. They are saying catalytic converter bank may need replacing but none anywhere in Australia where I live. Do you know if this sounds a correct diagnosis, as they seem very unsure. If so can the converter can be replaced by another car type meantime to get the car running until new one can be sourced overseas?
Denis
Brisbane QLD
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
2/24/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Can I have the last six digits of your VIN? Have any warning messages or lights come on? If so do you know if the dealer retrieved any fault codes? What kind or drivability problem are you experiencing?

Hi Richard

VIn number ends M75937

We have not driven the car yet. We live in Melbourne but bought car in Brisbane so had car sent straight to Jaguar dealer in Brisbane to check out. We said we would be up in 2 weeks to pick it up. After 2 weeks, when we arrived to pick it up they had done nothing and only then finally sent codes to Sydney to find out what they mean after we asked what was going on -but we are still none the wiser - they say it MAY be catalytic converter but when we questioned this after talking to other Jaguar specialists they then said they would send car to their exhaust man. We do not have the codes or know if there are warning lights. We are going to try and get to the car today and drive ourselves to see what happens. We have been told it bunny hops when taking off. The dealer also suggested it may be the gear box but again when we questioned they changed their mind. They were supposed to be doing the injectors last week but still not done. We are frustrated and concerned! Denis

If the converters were clogged the vehicle would not accelerate at all. I have seen issues with the TCM (Transmission Control Module) which is part of the mechatronic valve body. We were reprogramming the module which cured alot of these type of problems. I also think the problem may be a vacuum leak as I see issues with the intake seals which can also cause this.
Thanks Richard I will see the car today and get back to you
Ok sounds good. Let me know how you make out.