Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Wouldnt move..Park..gear shift..the car wont start

Customer Question
Husband put 2005 VDP in...
Husband put 2005 VDP in gear to drive and it wouldn't move. He tried to put it in Park and it now has the R light on but the gear shift is in P position. Now the car won't start, probably because it is not really in park.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
2/10/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

I assume that you have a XJ8 VDP. There maybe a simple solution to this problem. You may have loose shift cable bolts. If you look under the driver side of your vehicle you will see the shifter cable where is attaches to the transmission. There are two 8mm bolts holding the cable to the trans. They may be loose or have even fell out. You will need to jack up the driver side of your vehicle.

It is dark outside and I can't look.
Thats ok. If you want to try in the morning and reply back if needed. You can also try moving the manual release on the shifter. To do this pop off the woodgrain surround then locate the lever on the driver side of the shifter. You may see residual white grease near it. With a long flat blade screwdriver push that lever up at the same time you move the shifter out of park. If you still cannot move the shifter I suspect the loose cable retaining bolts.