Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1997 Jaguar xk8: convertible..000 miles..engine starts..petrol etc…

I own a 1997 Jaguar...
I own a 1997 Jaguar xk8 auto convertible (since new) with 32,000 miles on clock and spends most of its life in my garage under a dust sheet. All in perfect condition except for the following fault.

The engine starts at the touch of the buttton from cold and runs perfectly, but when I stop (eg for petrol etc) the car will not restart. Symptoms are as follows: When you push start button, starter works perfectly, engine turns but shows no sign of firing. Absolutely dead.The small computer display on the dash starts with 'system check' but flicks instantly into 'engine failsafe mode'. I try everything I can think of (eg lock and unlock doors, key in and out, waggle gear lever etc) but no joy. So I go away and leave it for twenty minutes, come back and it starts first touch of the button.

Another symptom is that auto gear lever jams in the park position. This gear lever problem sometimes occurs even when the car is stationary and the engine is running. I wiggle it about and eventually get it to come out into drive.

I assume (but do not know for certain) that the immobilising function on the car also locks the transmission in park to prevent it being towed away. This leads me to suspect either (1) that the relay or mechanism which locks the transmission is sticking or (2) the relays and or sensors which tell the computer that the car is in park and can be started are sticking or (3) the computer which provides the immobilising function is faulty or (4) something else entirely!

This problem has been present for many years and although I have had the car serviced by Jaguar Agents, in the pastthe fault has never occurred when they had the car. However, it is now occuring much more regularly and I would like to understand what and why before I take it in yet again.

If you can give me a steer on this I would be most grateful.

Regards

Alan
2/8/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

So when the problem occurs the engine will crank strong but not start? Did you notice if this only happens when below 1/4 tank?
No it occurs at any fuel level, including full.

Sorry for the delay.

Do both problems occur at the same time? When the engine cranks but does not start can you release the shifter out of park?

It is certainly often that the shifter will be stuck in park and this was the case in the most recent failure to start. However I cannot say for sure that this was always the case in the past. On a couple of occasions recently I managed to free the gear shifter and started the engine with it in neutral.

Alan
These may or may not be related. You may be having a problem with the transmission rotary switch as this allows the vehicle to be started when in park or neutral only. Next time the problem happens if it will start in neutral but not in park I suspect a faulty switch sensor.
Would this account for the gear shifter sticking in the park position or is this a separate fault?

Alan
I think that is a different issue. There is a gear shift interlock solenoid that usually sticks causing this. If you notice cycling the key or depressing the brake a few times seems to release the shifter then it is most likely that interlock as the problem.
Richard, Jaguar Technician