Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2005 jaguar s type: I parked, noticed..brakes werent working…

Customer Question
My 2005 jaguar s type...
My 2005 jaguar s type just recently decided not to start. My father changed the battery and it was going fine for a few days. When I went to work the other day I parked, noticed that my car was drifting backward slightly...as if the brakes weren't working. It stopped and to be sure it wasn't going to move I engaged the parking brake. About ten minutes later I went out to start my car and it wouldn't start. The engine does not turn over, all lights and things come on, just the engine will not turn over. There are three lights displayed on the dash, the engine light, oil light, and battery light. I dont know what could be wrong.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
2/7/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Ok so the engine will not crank but the battery is strong? Can you tell me if the P is lite up on the shifter and will ir remove from park?
Everything is lit up as normal, cannot shift to any gear. The rear brakes are locked up and when I go to depress the brake pedal, it's like I can't. The brake pedal will go down a little bit but it is in essence, stuck.
Ok you may have a problem with loose shifter cable bolts. The transmission will not fully engage park causing the engine not to crank and the shifter will be stuck in park. We should check to make sure the brake lights are working and that the inertia switch did not trip. The inertia switch is located behind the lower A post kick panel in the driver side. There should be a hole in the panel where you can stick your finger through to reset it. We can also try manually moving the shifter. If it still will not move then I suspect the shifter cable bolts are the problem. To manually release the shifter pop off the wood grain surround. Look down on the driver side of the shifter and you will see a lever on the side. There may be a white grease residue near this lever. Use a flat blade screwdriver and lift up on the lever while you move the shifter out of park. If it will not move then look under the driver side center of your vehicle. You will see the shifter cable and it should be secured to the transmission case by two 8mm bolts. They may be loose or in some cases one or both may have fell out.