Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Ford: hesitates..acts..fluid but I cant find a tranny dipstick…

Hello Richard, New problem. When I...
Hello Richard,

New problem. When I put the car in drive, it hesitates & then bangs into gear with a noticable thump. It acts like an old Ford C4 that's low on fluid but I can't find a tranny dipstick to check the level. Help!
Best Regards,
Ed
2/1/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello Ed and welcome back to justanswer.com

Unfortunately I do not have good news. The usual failure of the transmission is a burnt forward drum/clutch. What usually happens is the engine will rev up then bang into gear when accelerating from a stop. If the gearbox fault light came on the code logged is most likely a P1722 for stall speed. In this case the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced. As far as the cost it is between $3500-$7500.00 depending on whether a Jag reman is used or your transmission is rebuilt. A Jag factory tool is needed but you can try your local autozone or pepboys as they will usually scan for stored fault codes at no charge. Sometimes the code is also stored in the ECM (engine control module) which can be read with a generic scan tool. If there is no light on there will be one soon. For the fluid there is no dipstick as the fluid is checked using the fill/level plug on the trans. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Hello Richard, This problem just started a couple of days ago but there is no service light on. I scanned for codes with my Unitech scan tool and got one code. P 1111 Does that mean anything? Do I understand your response correctly that a low ATF condition will not cause this symptom? Could you share with me what to expect? Typically will this problem get gradually worse or just fail at any time? As I told you in the past, the local Jag dealer here in Scottsdale is horrible. They mis-diagnosed other simple problems that you quickly solved over the internet. They had the car in their shop with all their equipment and could not effectively find the problems. Are there other things I should check for? Is it worth the $ 75 the dealership wants to check the fluid level? Sorry for all the questions but I've about had it with this car. I've had it a year and on average I have to repair or replace something every 3 weeks. I cannot afford a new tranny if thats whats needed nor would I invest that kind of money in a 13 year old car with 122K on it. Any additional input from you would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
There may be not any stored fault codes since this problem just started. That P1111 is just a readiness code which there is no repair needed. It tells us the ECM has completed a drive cycle. Yes low fluid level can cause this as that would be the first thing I would check. I can tell you based on your description it does sound like an internal mechanical failure. I see this alot on the 1998 year with higher mileage. This problem will worsen but it may be worth having the dealer or trans shop at least check the fluid level and condition.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Thank you again for your excellent help delivered at warp speed. You are truly "THE BEST"

Sincerely

Ed

You are very welcome. Thanks again for using justanswer.com. Keep me posted and let mew know how you make out.

Good Morning Richard,

As always you were 100% correct. Leaving the jobsite Friday the car did not want to move & a Transmisson Failure light appeared. I did manage to make it home after a fashion though. I think I found a place to do a tranny swap & have found several low mileage 1998 units. I do have a few questions however. Do I have to use a transmission from a 1998 VDP only. Can any good transmission shop or garage do the swap or are there special tools or procedures that could cause problems? How many hours for the swap? Are there other things that should be done or replaced during this procedure? I know this is a subjective question but should I even be thinking about this major repair or cut my losses and try to sell it as a parts car? Thank you for all your great advice.

All The Best,

Ed

Hi Richard,

Two additional questions. I just found a transmission out of a 1998 XK8 with 49.000 miles for $ 1600. Is that a good price & will it fit?

Thanks,

Ed

You need o find a unit from a 1998-1999 XJ or a 1997-1999 XK. As far as the price that is about average for a used assembly but most of the 1998 units had that same problem with the forward drum separating. Any qualified repair shop should be able to swap out the transmission for you but make sure they flush out the cooler. Sometimes the cooler lines strip out in the trans so they may also need to be replaced. The labor charge is about 8-10 hours.

Hello Richard,

The three bone yards I'm dealing with are all claiming that the 98 XJ8 is all by itself and that the 99 XJ's they have are not a direct swap. They can't tell me what's supposed to be different. I'm sorry to ask, but can you think of a reason for this? Are there sensor, wiring harness or computer control differences between the two years? Are there things that will have to be swapped from the 98 to the 99 that may be required? I know that the Hollinder system that they all use for crossover compatability is far from perfect from my past experience. My biggest concern is that all the trannys I found are out of state and once I buy one I own it.

Thanks,

Ed

They are VIN specific but an early 1999 will fit if you can find one. You need a transmission from a VIN before 853935. A newer one can be fitted if the TCM is replaced.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello Richard,

I have a very inportant question. The repair shop that did the transmission swap now says that this 1999 XJ8 transmission needs 12 Qts. of special Jag transmission fluid @ $ 59.00 per Qt. Does this tranny require special fluid? Is it only available from Jag? Is it $ 59.00 per Qt? Is there anything else I can use that costs less than my mortgage payment? I hope you get this soon because I need my car for the weekend.

Many Thanks,

Ed

They are correct that the Jag fluid is expensive and the quantity is about 11 quarts. The part number for the fluid is JLM20237. The fluid is a Esso LT 71141 which you can source for cheaper.

http://store.europarts-sd.com/

Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello Richard,

My BAP parts rep claims he has a direct replacement for the ESSO LT-71141.

Bilstein ATF-1 Does that sound correct?

Thanks Ed

I am not familiar with that fluid. I will research it to see if it is a replacement for the Esso.

Thanks to my good friends at BMW here are the fluids.

The Bilstein ATF-1 meets VW/Audi G052162-A2 which is Esso spec.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/800695

Hi Richard-

This is Vallon.

Ed is in a meeting but asked me to look for your response as it is obviously very important.

Please excuse my ignorance though; I am confused. Is the fluid that you listed for the VW/Audi Esso spec also the one that is acceptable for the Jag?

Thank you again for all of your help. Ed thinks the world of you!

The transmission is manufactured by ZF who builds transmissions for other manufacturers like VW and BMW. It looks like the fluid does in fact cross to an equivalent spec as the Esso fluid.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello Richard,

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atf.aspx

Do you know anything about this product? It lists LT71141

Thanks,

Ed

Yes I know of trans shops that use this fluid and have no problems. I personally have never used it in these vehicles so I cannot say for sure.
Richard, Jaguar Technician