Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2003 x type: started acting..instruments..guages for a few seconds…

My 2003 x type started...
My 2003 x type started acting up, the instruments and lights would shut down while driving, the car remained under power. Just lost all guages for a few seconds, then back up for two or three minutes...then it started occuriring more frequently. Then I stopped for gas and the car would not start. Replaced the battery with a new one after towing to local garage. Car started and drove, but same on/off problem was occurring rapidly. Again, engine never lost power.
1/29/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

So the tachometer, speedometer, fuel and temp gauges all dropped out? When this happened the vehicle drove normal? Has the engine light, transmission fault or any other indicator come on?

the engine light was on previous to this. It comes on and goes off occasionally. Oil is new and car runs fine.
Also, all warning lights flash as power comes back on. But car drives normal. Starter wires are tight.Also, headlights are unhooked, waiting on replacement HID's....if that makes any difference. But first week they were unhooked, nothing was going on.
Usually when this happens it is an indication of a fault in the CAN network. The CAN is the twisted pair network in which all the chassis and powertrain control modules "talk" to each other. These modules are the ABS, ECM, TCM, CCM, J gate, and Instrument Pack. If nay one module is offline or has lost power or ground this problem will happen. Diagnosing this without a Jag tool can be difficult but we can do a test with a voltmeter. Next time the fault occurs look to see if the gear is illuminated on the J gate shifter. Also we should see if there are any stored fault codes. A scan tool will be needed to do this.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Richard,

Just a little more info. It only does it after car has been running ab out 20 minutes, and it starts with a slight buzzing sound eminating from behind the speedometer. Then I get an error code flash on the odometer lcd that says "PECU" on top line then underneath says _____b then after another 10 minutes or so all goes dead on the instruments but everything else works. Car wont start right way. Buzzing sounds like a relay shorting out......
Ok that PECUS message means the control module is offline. If it says PECUS B then this is usually a failure with the instrument cluster. You should also look above the brake pedal to see if the bracket is contacting the harness running along the rear of the dash bracket.
OK thanks. I will check. I am 5 hours away from nearest dealer so leaving my car their is not a viable option. Thanks
Ok let me know how you make out.