Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

S-Type: started flashing Gearbox..reving sound..Car drives ok.

Customer Question
Richard, My S-Type 2004 just recently...
Richard,

My S-Type 2004 just recently started flashing Gearbox Fault. In the last three days the reving sound is getting louder. Car drives ok. Shifts ok.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
1/13/2011
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

When the Gearbox fault warning message comes on the transmission control module will limit the vehicle to a fixed fourth gear and store a fault code. I see issues with the torque converters as well as software reprogramming for this gearbox fault warning. We would need to see what the fault codes are. A Jag service tool will be needed to read the codes in the transmission control module but you should first try your local pepboys or autozone as they will usually scan for codes at no charge. They will only be able to communicate with the engine control module but sometimes the code is stored in both the ECM and TCM. It also may not necessarily be a transmission problem but can be an electronic throttle problem. It also can be caused by low fluid level but since there is no dipstick a dealer or shop will need to check the fluid level.