Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

x type: wont start..turn key..starter turns over if you jump solenoid

Customer Question
my x type 2005 wont...
my x type 2005 wont start battery good ,, turn key nothing .. starter turns over if you jump solenoid
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Jaguar
12/20/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: vwnewton, ASE Master and L1 Advanced level replied 7 years ago
vwnewton
vwnewton, ASE Master and L1 Advanced level

vwnewton :

Hello, Jason here to help. Do the dash lights light up when the key is on? I mean lights such as a check engine light, battery, oil light, ABS? Has the Jaguar been jump started?

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

yes the check engine light is on and battery and oil .. yes it was jumped

vwnewton :

Please do not accept until I have answered the question to your satisfaction.

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

ok

vwnewton :

When you crank the Jaguar, do the lights remain on or flicker, or go out?

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

it wont crank with the key

vwnewton :

I understand, but when you do turn the key, what do the dash lights do?

vwnewton :

Have you checked all the fuses?

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

i checked all the fuses.. the only light on the dash is the oil light and it stays on when you trun the key.. the milage dosent come on

vwnewton :

Fuse number 4 and 21 in the BEC(bussed electrical center) or engine fuse box are common problems after a jump start. Besides the one under the hood, there is one in the side of the dash. It sounds like a fuse might have been taken out.

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

what side of dash

vwnewton :

Left side of the dash

vwnewton :

If you have a test light, use it to check the fuses, not just visually, I see a lot of fuses that look OK, but have micro cracks in the element and won't allow voltage to flow...

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

ill check

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

ok i re checked all fuses and all were good

vwnewton :

So when the key is on, does the test light light up on fuses 2,4,7,31,32 in the dash panel and fuses 31 and 32 in the underhood panel?

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

ok under hood no fuse in 31 no pins for fuse.. #32 12 v..... dash panel in car 2 and 4 nothing 7,31,32 good 12v

vwnewton :

Fuse 43 in the inside fuse panel, is it OK? This fuse feed the relay that powers fuse 2 and 4...

vwnewton :

Near the passenger side foot area, a inertia switch may need to be reset. A small trim panel and there is a button that may need to be pressed in.

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

43 is good .. i tried the inertia switch

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

this all started when i opened the trunk and the alarm went off

vwnewton :

Well that leaves a couple of possible causes. The ignition switch, or a failed relay. Since we do not have power to fuses 2 and 4, the relays that power up these fuses are not getting powered up. The ignition switch or the powers into or out of it are my guess. No instruments or check engine light or other main warning lights kind of backs this up. There are a lot of electronics that could have been damaged by either overcharging, or jumping the battery. If every fuse in every panel is good, the powers at the ignition switch and the main relays will need to be tested.

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

could in be in anti theft mode

vwnewton :

Does the alarm lock and unlock the doors with the key, remotely?

JACUSTOMER-lv109ar5- :

yes

vwnewton :

Then the alarm system is likely not the cause. You can try this though. Key out of the vehicle. Open the door, insert the key and turn the ignition to the first position, then on to the run position, and then back to the first position, repeat four more times. So first,run,first,run,first,run,first,run. The chime should ding. Turn off the key and remove it from the ignition, and press the remote lock/unlock button. This will resynch the remote to the car. That will help rule out the immobilizer.

I switched us to Q and A. I will get notified when you reply. Jason

i turned key off and on no chime

OK. Even if the immobilizer was active, you would still have a check engine light and other warnings lit. The antitheft system will not allow the Jaguar to crank if active, but it will still allow the dash and odometer to power up. You may need to find a Jaguar capable repair shop to help in diagnosis. Are there any reputable shops in your area that may help out? Again, I believe we still have a fuse/power/switch issue. Jason
vwnewton
vwnewton