Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

95 jaguar xj6: pads..rotors..the brake pedal there is a clicking sound…

Customer Question
changed rear pads and rotors...
changed rear pads and rotors on a 95 jaguar xj6. after completing the job when you press the brake pedal there is a clicking sound that comes from the gearshift when it's in park, but only when its in park. I'm stumped, and my friend insists it didn't do it before and that there must be something wrong. Any Ideas?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
12/6/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Richard :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Richard :

That sound is just the gear shift interlock. You will hear it disengage when you apply the brake when in park.

JACUSTOMER-p17h9ur2- :

Ok, my question is why the sound never happened before?

JACUSTOMER-p17h9ur2- :

According to my friend this is not a sound that he has ever heard prior to the bakes being done and we both drive our cars all the time for work purposes.

Richard :

It may have been there but just louder if the actuator is failing.

JACUSTOMER-p17h9ur2- :

Ok, is there any possible way that serviceing the rear brakes would have any affect on this?

Richard :

No. They should not be related. The body module receives a brake input from the switch on the pedal then will activate the solenoid you are hearing.

JACUSTOMER-p17h9ur2- :

is the actuator a difficult part to replace?

JACUSTOMER-p17h9ur2- :

I also want to clarify something else, is this the system that allows you to take the car out of park when you press the brake pedal?

Richard :

There is some disassembly involved to replace that actuator. Let me see if I can send you some instruction. Yes this is the part that allows you to move the shifter out of park.

JACUSTOMER-p17h9ur2- :

great anything you could send would be helpful.

JACUSTOMER-p17h9ur2- :

Also is there any danger driving the car if the actuator is failing, when they start to fail how long would you say it would be before it fails, days, weeks, months?

JACUSTOMER-p17h9ur2- :

and if it should fail completely does this mean the car will not go into gear/

Richard :

Sorry for the delay. Usually they will last some time before it eventually stops working. There is a over ride you can access by removing the torx screw on the top of the shifter. Click on the link.

Richard :

Shifter

Richard, Jaguar Technician