Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1992 XJS: cylinder..litre..transmission problem..park

Customer Question
I have a 1992 XJS...
I have a 1992 XJS 12 cylinder 6 litre automobile that has been in storage for a year. There was never ANY hint of a transmission problem. I went to move it but the transmission is stuck in park and will not budge. What happened? Thoughts? Transmission fluid is fine. Just wondering is there anything magical to be done or must I just get it towed to a transmission shop? Thanks.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
12/2/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Doc. Jaguar, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Doc. Jaguar
Doc. Jaguar, Jaguar Technician

Doc. Jaguar :

More then likely if the car has been in storage that long the brake pads are probably rusted to the brake rotors. Thus seeming like it is stuck in park. If you can move the gear selector from park to drive the car should be able to be moved no mater the condition of the transmission. You need to get it started and drive it. If its been stored long enough that the fuel is bad and it wont fire you will need to replace all the fluids and filters first. Let me know if this helps.

Customer :

I guess I might have miscommunicated some information.

Customer :

The car starts fine cannot move the transmission out of park.

Customer :

Sorry .. the car starts fine but we cannot move the gear out of park into ANY other gear.