Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2004 Jaguar XJ8: an intermittent basis, the dashboard

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Jaguar...
I have a 2004 Jaguar XJ8. On an intermittent basis, the dashboard displays all the symbols indicating problems (i.e. parkbrake fault, DSC is off, low brake fluid, suspension fault, etc.), in addition- the manual side of transmission doesn't work and the power steering doesn't work. Then when I shut off car and restart it a bit later- it won't turn over. I mean, no crank sound. Just silent. Then after a while it started up. Well, this kept happening so I took it to be serviced at a shop that works on exotic cars. He followed connections to all computers, cleaned some contacts and told me he thinks its fine now. The car ran good for 2 days then the same problem appeared all over again. I took it back to him and he couldn't find anything but clean the fuel block. Then last minute decided to replace the battery with new Interstate battery.
It drove great for about 4 days, then started acting up again, same as before, but this time it won't start at all. I tried to jump it with another car, and it wouldn't start or make any noise. I've been trying to start it for 6 hours now with no success. I'm having it towed to the same shop.
Do you have any inclination as to what my car's problem could be?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/26/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Jaguar expert, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 years ago
Jaguar expert
Jaguar expert, ASE Certified Technician
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.Using a scan tool see if there are any trouble codes stored in the memory to help us pinpoint the cause .This trouble can be caused by a faulty throttle assembly sometimes .
The technician has the best scan equipment and has read the codes before. Its not really leaving a trail of information to look at. He has cleaned all the contacts to all the computers and replaced the battery.

A different technician mentioned the possibility of the gear shifter. Does this make sense?

also, after several hours of sitting- I can start the car again and it seems fine- but after a while driving it same simptoms shw up again. Help!
This is sounding like an internal fault in the body control module from your description, when it is acting up and will not start or the lights are on we need to scan the system and see if we are able to communicate with the body control module
The first time the car was checked, the technician, the code showed a problem with the central control module. So he cleaned the contacts and he thought it solved the problem. But it didn't. It could drive fine for a few days and then, all of the sudden, things light up on dashboard (ie; DSC, oil, engine, battery, etc. , and the screen shows Parkbrake fault, DSC is off, low brake fluid, etc.), the speedometer, tacometer, engine temp gage all stop working. Also- the manual(left) side of gear shifter doesn't work and the power steering doesn't work. I have 108,000 miles on the car and it runs great except for this continuing problem. I'm looking for an answer that will solve it once and for all. I appreciate your suggestions, but the technician has done all of those. I was hoping that one of your experts would know whats causing this based on your experience with previous customers with the same problem.
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello maybe I can help as there is no Body Control Module on this vehicle. The two modules that control those body electrical functions have nothing to do with the starting system or security.

I should be able to assist you. First can I have the last six digits of your VIN.

G04731
Thank you for requesting me to assist you. I figured it was an early VIN 2004. There is a repair procedure for this but to be sure I would need the stored faults. A good network test would be when this problem happens if the gear shifter comes out of park when the engine will not start and those faults are displayed. I also have another test I can give you if you have a voltmeter.
I don't have a volt meter. I can tell you that when the engine won't start, the gear shifter will not come out of park.
Ok this is an indication of a fault in the CAN network. The CAN is the twisted pair network in which all the chassis and powertrain control modules "talk" to each other. These modules are the ABS, ECM, TCM, CCM, J gate, Instrument Pack, and the Air Suspension Module. If nay one module is offline or has lost power or ground this problem will happen. Diagnosing this without a Jag tool can be difficult but we can do a test with a voltmeter. There is a tech bulletin that covers the possible wiring issues we see for this concern.
I feel that you're on to something, but without a volt meter and bulletin what can I do? Its in a Jaguar Repair Shop right now. Can I share this info with them? They have the tools necessary to check this out. Is there anything else you can tell me? I'm very frustrated as its been a month or so without any answers.

Here is the bulletin. What we do is drag test the electrical connectors and replace the worn/loose pins. Before authorizing any repairs get back to me.

TSB