Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar: shifter..it in neutral with the parking brake..jump..doors…

Sir: My '68 Series...
Sir: My '68 Series 1.5 Jaguar automatic, the shifter does not seem to lock into park and it comes out of Park too easily. Is there a fix to trust that it will stay in park. I try to keep it in neutral with the parking brake on as not to have it jump from park to reverse and drive off backward out of the garage and shear off one of my doors. Your help will be appreciated. Jag is 1968, Series 1.5, 2+2, 54K miles. Owned for 2 weeks.
     Sincerely,

Bob
Answered in 1 day by:
9/9/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Jagmaster, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Jagmaster
Jagmaster, Jaguar Technician
Sounds like the shifter cable just needs to be adjusted. Once the car is in park does it pop out of park or roll? Start by adjusting the cable at the transmission. I suspect you'll find it's stretched.
Jagmaster
Jagmaster, Jaguar Technician