Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

S type: 4.2 L suddently shut off, all warning lights came on…

Customer Question
My wifes S type 4.2...
My wifes S type 4.2 L suddently shut off, all warning lights came on. No power, will not start. Try to jump but nothing. Can you help?
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Jaguar
9/4/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 11 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Richard :

Can you tell me if the P is lite up on the shifter? Also will the shifter release from park?

Customer :

I don't know what you mean by "if the P is lite up on the shifter"? Yes, the selector goes into park and will come back out. The car shut off on a down hill, all the warning lights came on, it was difficult to engage park but it did go in. With the parking brake set it moves in and out of park with no problem.

Richard :

I meant if the shifter is in park the P is illuminated. Also look on the top center of the dash and see if the theft light is flashing very rapidly when trying to crank it.

Customer :

I left the car a few blocks away, I will go over and check this out and get back as soon as possilbe

Richard :

OK

Customer :

I am back, No, the "P" light does not come on and there is no flashing theft light when cranking.

Customer :

Thanks for your help on this, hopefully you can get me an answer before I have to have it towed.

Richard :

Ok does the shifter release from park?

Richard :

Or is any other gear illuminated on the shifter?

Customer :

Yes, the shifter will release from Park. No other lights ilumate on the shifter.

Customer :

You go Richard............

Richard :

Ok we need to see if the inertia switch is tripped. Look in the driver front kick panel.

Richard :

You will see a hole in the panel where you can put your finger through to push down on the switch.

Richard :

See if this is the problem.

Customer :

No Luck, what is next? Please keep in mind the car is parked on a hill and I don't want to leave it there tonight. What is the next step?

Customer :

Thanks!

Richard :

Ok without a Jag scan tool it will be difficult to diagnose. Lets try disconnecting the negative battery terminal cable for 10 minutes which may reset all the control modules.

Customer :

Okay, I will have to do this in the morning, willl I still be able to access this site?

Richard :

Yes just reply back to this page.

Customer :

Customer :

Good Morning,

Richard :

Good morning.

Customer :

I disconnected the batterry for 10 mins, the car would not start in park. I put the shirt selector in Neutral and it started and the gear selector lights came on, except for park. I drove it home, put it in reverse to back into the garage. I notice that the gear selector does not line up with the gates on the consol, Reverse is forward of the reverse gate. The selector now is stuck in reverse and will now not go into park.

Customer :

Back to you guys.

Richard :

Ok this is actually a simple fix.

Customer :

You still there Richard, all I got was it's a simple fix?

Richard :

Sorry I had to log back into the chat.

Richard :

The cause of this problem is loose or missing shift cable bolts.

Richard :

Jack up the driver side of your vehcile and you should see the shifter cable running to the bottom of the transmission. There should be two 8mm bolts that hold the cable to the trans case. The bolts are either loose or have fell out.

Customer :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX give it a try and hopefully you have solved my problem! Thanks so much for the awesome help!

Customer :

I will get back to you if this works!

Richard :

Ok sounds good. I think we nailed this one.

Customer :

Hi Richard, yes the rear bolt is missing, good work. Can you tell me what size bolt to use, metric I hope but what length as there is not a lot of room to put it back in!

Customer :

Thanks again for your help on this!

Richard :

Sorry for the delay.

Richard :

The bolt is a metric bolt. It is a M6 bolt and the lenth is short at no more than 10mm

Customer :

Richard,

Richard :

Sorry for the delay.

Richard :

The bolt is a M6 metric bolt.

Richard :

The length should be no more than 10mm and you should put a small washer on it.

Customer :

I got the 10mm bolt in and tight, but only starts in "R" and the shift lever does not select any other gear. I have pulled the negative side of the battery off and hope it will reset. Anything else I might do?

Richard :

Here's what you need to do.

Richard :

Pop the shifter cable off the lever on the transmission and move the lever til it locks in park.

Richard :

Then move the shifter into park and reconnect that cable with those two bolts loose.

Richard :

Once it is snapped on tighen the bolts and you should be ok.

Customer :

Sending again, I got the M6 10 mm bolt in and tight, but the car still starts in "R" and will not go into park. I pulled off the - side of the battery and hope a reset will make it work. Anything else I should try before I have it towed?

Customer :

Ok, move what lever til it locks in park?

Richard :

On the transmission pop the cable off the lever on the trans. Move the lever and you will feel it lock into park.

Richard :

Loosen but do not remove the cable bolts. Then put the shifter all the way into park.

Richard :

Reconnect the shifter cable on the lever on the trans then tighen those bolts.

Customer :

The lever on the tranmission does not move, how hard do I force it and is park forward (toward the front of the car) or back?

Customer :

Followed all directions, car will start in R or N put will not go into park. Guess I will have to call the tow truck....................are you there?

Customer :

Dropped the car off the jack and it seems to be stuck in N. Is park forward or backward on the transmission lever? Can you gett back to me?

Richard :

Sorry for the delay as I had to step away.

Richard :

Park should be all the way back. You will feel a longer spot and it will make a solid click into park.

Customer :

Customer :

Richard, Jaguar Technician