Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2002 S type: 2.5 liter..speed..My question concerns the transmission…

Hello, My name is George. I have...
My name is George.
I have a 2002 S type (x202) 2.5 liter, 6 speed auto.

My question concerns the transmission. When it kicks down the gears it thuds the vehicle.
Up changes are perfect and the problem doesn't happen all the time but it is so annoying.
It is especially prominent when traveling on the freeway on cruise control especially if the road is on a gradient.
It also happens coming to a complete stop (rarely) and when selecting reverse (all the time)
By selecting the (S) button it is less prominent than when switched off.
Can you help me?
Thankyou

The "thud" can also be described as a "shunt" a "jerk"
8/16/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Customer:

Hi Richard

Richard :

Your problem is caused by the TCM (Transmission Control Module). What needs to be done first is to have the TCM adaptations reset and the control module reprogrammed. Then a specific drive cycle needs to be completed so the module can learn all the clutch application pressures. This needs to be done with the Jag factory scan tool.

Customer:

Is it a common problem and will it cost much. I live in Australia

Customer:

How much does it usually cost in the States so i have a reference point in cost.

Customer:

I have a Jaguar mechanic that i normally go to. Not a dealer. Only specializes in Jags. I did mention this to him a long time ago and he said something about rubber bushes tha might need replacing if they are worn out

Richard :

We usually charge a two hour labor fee for this repair. If your Jag tech has access to a Jaguar IDS he can perform this for you. It is also possible the rubber isolators on worn on the back of the rear diff mounts or the transmission output flange is loose but the programming is the usual cause of that problem.

Customer:

Is it common?

Richard, Jaguar Technician
Yes on those early X202 it is common.