Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

98 xj8: little jerk at a stop light..engine is reving..automatic…

Customer Question
So this is weird....
So this is weird. My 98 xj8 was driving fine except for a little jerk at a stop light like when the engine is reving too high while downshifting though the automatic. That just happened today for the first time. So, I Took it to an oil change place because I needed to do that anyway, and they found a nail in a rear tire so the jerk might have been explained by the anti-skid compensating for the difference in pressure.

They fixed the tire, replaced the oil, and they also replaced the air filter. While they were at it, they said my Serpentine drive belt looked worn (108,000 miles) so they replaced that as well.

When I got in the car and put it in reverse, it seemed sluggish and would stop when I let off the gas. I thought it might be something to do with the anti-skid thing, so I drove out of the lot and almost immediately the car would not accelerate and the transmission fault light and check engine light came on. Since I was now pointed the wrong way from the shop and limping along, I had to manually shift into second to do that which then it seemed like the car was fine. I cruised the couple of blocks to my house figuring that a tune-up and oil change place was not going to readily admit to doing something wrong, nor did they have the diagnostics to fix the problem. Besides, it might have been a coincidence.

Any thoughts?

Cliff
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Jaguar
8/13/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Richard :

Since the gearbox fault and check engine light is on the TCM (Transmission Control Module) and the ECM (Engine Control Module) have detected a fault and stored a code. Your vehicle is OBD II which means that a generic scan tool can be used to retrieve the fault codes. I recommend a trip to your local autozone or pepboys as they will usually scan for codes at no charge. Do not purchase any parts or authorize any repairs until you get back to me with the code numbers. The will be a P followed by four digits (P1722). The usual failure of the transmission is a burnt forward drum/clutch. What usually happens is the engine will rev up then bang into gear when accelerating from a stop. Since the gearbox fault light is on the code logged is most likely a P1722 for stall speed. In this case the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced. As far as the cost it is between $3500-$6500.00 depending on whether a Jag reman is used or your transmission is rebuilt.

Customer:

Thank you for that I will. Can I limp the car over there without doing much damage? It does limp along pretty good using the manual gears.

Richard :

Yes you should be able to get there in limp or see if you can rent the tool.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.

Ok.

So I bought the OBD tool instead and here is what it says.

Initially, 1722 and a 1643. I looked on the net for the 1643 thing and saw your posts about the inertia switch but for the life of me, like the other guy, I can't find it. I see the kick panel behind the hood release but it is just one large panel with no doors or slots or anything other than a little plastic grommet in the center of it.

Anyway, it occurred to me that I didn't start the engine to run the codes so I did, and to the list I got 1797 added.

Well, I figured I had already written down the codes and I wondered what would happen if I reset them. So I did, and amazingly the car would now back up as usual, but when I shifted to drive the engine reved a bit and then jerked into first with no power and then seemed to slip back into limp mode with the transmission fault warning.

Funny thing is, now when I run the codes I only get 1000 and 1643. I checked the fuses and they are fine.

Please tell me the solution could be anything other than "well you need to replace the transmission." I just find it very odd that a transmission working fine goes into a shop to have oil, a belt, and air cleaner change, and suddenly the transmission fails right at that moment. How coincidental!

Thanks so much for your help and I will definitely accept the answer if we can keep the conversation going a bit longer. I already paid for unlimited questions for the month.

Also this site is pretty cool. Having recently been laid off by a major bank after a 25 year career, I am thinking about jumping in on the financial advise side. Need to know anything about mortgages?lol

Cliff

In fact, it may have but can't you see the irony of your car failing at a local repair shop?

On your vehicle the inertia switch in on the passenger side behind the kick panel but on this particular problem I do not think it is the cause. Usually 99% of the time that code P1722 is mechanical. It is possible that the shop had inadvertently drained the transmission and did not fill it all the way since there is no dipstick. That code P1643 and P1797 is for the CAN communication between the ECM and TCM. It can be battery voltage related. Go under the hood and in the passenger rear of the engine compartment and locate the battery connection on the plastic housing. Pull back the rubber boot and see if the 13mm nut is tight and that cable lug is burnt as that may also be your problem.

I have been contemplating refinancing my home so I may have to take you up on your advice.

Thank you for the info and I will look at the things you mentioned. Would it be routine in one of those oil changer places to drain the transmission fluid and replace it? I thought Jags were sealed and I knew the didn't have a dipstick but what I am wondering is what would happen if one of his guys who didn't know that drained the fluid and then didn't know how much to put back so he tried to cover it up by saying they "didn't touch the transmisson fluid as there is no dipstick" the guy actually made a point of saying that which was surprising to me because no other oil place had ever mentioned it.

1. could he have drained the fluid and what would happen if he did?

2. without a dip stick, how would I know how much is in there?

And on rates, you can get a 30 year fixed under 4.5% pretty much everywhere, but here's the thing: Rates should actually be lower than this. Lenders are stalling on lowering them to the levels they could because they don't want a flood of refi's. However the market is poised for it so it is just a question of time until somebody cracks and offers the lower levels. What you should shoot for is under 4% for a 30 year fixed rate loan. Have a local broker start building a package for you and tell him that is what you are shooting for. The big banks right now have other problems and they may not be the first to the low-rate party.

Cliff

Checked the rubber covered boot and it was pristine. No signs of shorting and snuggly attached.

First thanks for the rate info.

Yes the shop may have inadvertently drained the transmission fluid. This would not be the first time I have seen this at one of those lube shops. Since there is no transmission fluid dipstick it is not that easy to check the fluid level. First the transmission fluid needs to be warmed up to 30-40 degrees C (85-105 degrees F) then there is a fluid level check/fill plug which is located on the passenger side rear of the transmission case. It is an 8mm allen/hex plug. The fluid needs to be filled through this plug until it over flows then you know the level is full. This needs to be done on a four post lift or level surface ground.

Richard, Jaguar Technician