Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2002 Jaguar X-Type: automatic transmission..console..dealership…

We have a 2002 Jaguar...
We have a 2002 Jaguar X-Type 3.0, bucket seats, with automatic transmission, shift lever is in console between seats. Sometimes it would not shift out of park. We took it to a Jaguar dealership and learned that it had several low-voltage codes. They put a new battery in it as a cure. Now, when we get into the car, start the engine, and began to put it into drive, there was clicking from the gear selector as the lights on the gear selector begins blinking on and off, in rapid sequence. When I put the selector into drive, the "D" comes on, the "P" blinks, and the sport mode button blinks. Car droves well, but lights stay that same way. To keep it from getting hung up in park, before I shut off the engine, I pull the parking brake, with my foot on the brake, while placing the shift lever into park. I called dealership. They say it will cost $1200 to replace selector switch at shift lever. Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt ([email protected])
8/12/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Richard :

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Richard :

Based on your description it does sound like a fault inside the shifter but that quote is very high. The part lists for about $260.00 and the labor is about 2.0 hours. At my dealer this repair would cost $510.00.

Richard, Jaguar Technician
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.