Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Why is it that i can get reverse, but no other gear. ie 1,2,3,4,5. Gear…

Why is it that i...
Why is it that i can get reverse, but no other gear. ie:1,2,3,4,5.
Gear box fault lights up, then give it a bit of a rev it goes into limp-home mode then presto car engages and 5th gear works, turn car off, same all over again. dealership ran scan tool and came up with, P1722, P0706, P0710, P1799, p1722, if gear box broken, how does it work when in limo-home mode. it's like a doctor telling you you’ve broken your legs but let me just switch you over to limp home mode, and presto your legs work but only for walking not running!!
I doubt it’s the torque converter as this I think affects reverse and 5th
what do you think this is, The TCM, a Sensor, or gear box?
It all started the day before when i had it out in the rain all day, took it home perfectly well. the next morning i start the car, reverse out without touching accelerator (using idle speed) then 15meters down the drive way the rear wheels locked up very suddenly like I hit a brick wall, not spongy like the transmission was put into park, with the usually associated rocking affect then stops, it was hard. then tried to go back into the garage and no go, but give a few revs and it jerked forward, then went into limp mode, with no noises, very smooth and still get reverse but in limp mode?
I find it hard to believe that a gear box just blows just like that, no pressure no hard acceleration just idle speed then breaks!
7/24/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The usual failure of the transmission is a burnt forward drum/clutch. What usually happens is the engine will rev up then bang into gear when accelerating from a stop. Since the gearbox fault light is on the code logged is a P1722 for stall speed. In this case the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced. As far as the cost it is between $3500-$7500.00 depending on whether a Jag reman is used or your transmission is rebuilt. For the other codes this is usually the range sensor on the side of the gear box.

If this is the case, then why does the limp mode "overide" the fault and the car drives fine in 5th gear and reverse?
When it goes into limp the TCM will stay in a fixed gear allowing you to drive your vehicle. I recommend that you have all those codes cleared then disconnect the negative battery terminal cable to clear any adaptations. Then see which codes come back.

Sorry to be a pain, but how can 5th gear work if the forward drum/clutch is broken, causing jerking etc but goes away in limp mode regardless of what the TCM is telling it what to do? Limp mode cannot rectify a physical fault/symptom?

Have you ever seen a situation in your career where the codes tell you there is a mechanical problem and upon investigation it turned out to be electronic/electrical?

Since you have multiple codes you may have multiple problems. The P1722 is 99% of the time a mechanical failure inside the transmission. P0706 is for the rotary switch on the transmission or the D4 micro switch inside the shifter. P0710 is for fluid temp which is usually a faulty temp sensor which is an inline element in the transmission harness. P1799 is a CAN ABS malfunction. I would hate to see you repair the electrical problems if you do in fact have a mechanical failure. Have all the codes cleared to see which ones return.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Thanks Richard, I will pull the trany pan and filter an investigate oil for debris.

The ABS is a worry, as it all started with the car slamming to a hault, like the rear wheel breaks locked on there own accord! seems too sudden for this to be caused by the tranny. i'll do the tranny first and see how it all goes after that.

i cant clear the faults unless i take it to the dealer again. another 200 bucks. i think it may be worth buying an of the shelf OBDII. Hope they are reliable enough with jags?

Regards

Most scan tools will clear the codes from the ECM but not the ABS or TCM. Then disconnect the negative battery terminal cable for 10 minutes. I have also seen issues with the ABS rings on the back of the rear wheel bearings coming loose. You can remove the rear wheel speed sensors to inspect the rings. Let me know.