Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2004 XJ8: My key..I replaced battery and tried reserve key but no luck…

My key to my 2004...
My key to my 2004 XJ8 will not open the car electronically. I replaced battery and tried reserve key but no luck. Could this be a fuse problem in the car or something else?
7/13/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

Are you referring to the key fob remotes not working? If you use the key in the driver door will it unlock? Once in the vehicle will the locks work when using the central locking button on the dash?

Neither key fob works. Key in driver door works and central locking button on dash works. I thought it was the battery but I changed that. Also tried backup fob and it doesn't work either. (Should have tried that before I bought a new battery! Duh!)

Lets try to reprogram the remotes first.

Here is the manual programming procedure. If you receive the confirmation tone but the remote does does program then the issue is a faulty fob or flat fob battery.

Open driver door (door must be open throughout the programming process).

2.Pull turn signal stalk to the headlight flash position and hold.

3.Insert ignition key and turn to auxiliary position (position 1), then release the turn signal stalk.

4.Flash headlights five times (there will be an acknowledgment chirp from the sounder, and the PATS LED will flash once).

Note: Up to 5 transmitters can be programmed. Push the second transmitter button directly after programming the first, etc. Do not repeat the complete sequence as the first transmitter will be erased.

5.Push any transmitter button (there will be an acknowledgment chirp from the sounder, and the PATS LED will flash once).

6.Turn "OFF" the ignition and remove the key, (there will be an acknowledgment chirp from the sounder, and the PATS LED will flash once).

7.Close driver door and check transmitter(s) functions.

What is the, or where, is the PATS LED? Transmitter button on fob I assume.

I did everything you said but there was no sound from anywhere after lights flashed 5 times. I opened door, pulled stalk and inserted key and turned one position, released stalk and then flashed 5 times. No sound and nothing when I pushed buttons on fob.
Ok lets disconnect the negative battery terminal cable and try the procedure again.
Richard, Jaguar Technician

I assume you mean disconnect and then reconnect before I start the test.

I know that sounds like a dumb question.

I am glad to see you got it working. Thanks for the accept, bonus and for using justanswer.com.