Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1998 XJ8: @ 94,000 miles on it..stopped running..driving along..55 mph…

Customer Question
I gave a 1998 XJ8...
I gave a 1998 XJ8 with @ 94,000 miles on it. Several months ago it stopped running! I was driving along at @ 55 mph when the engine actually stopped. It started up again, but this happened 2x over the next several days. When I tried to take it in to the dealership, it wouldn't even turn over. The dealership has since moved to Louisville and I need a mechanic. Everyone says they're "certified," but I don't quite believe this. I have to have her towed, so I want to make sure I'm going to the best. Ideas on the problem & suggestion as to how to ascertain that the mechanic is truly certified with the right tools. Also, what type of computer system would one use to check my car? I'd like to know as much beforehand so the mechanic at least thinks I know what I'm talking about. Obviously, I don't!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jaguar
6/22/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Jagmaster, Jaguar Technician replied 8 years ago
Jagmaster
Jagmaster, Jaguar Technician

Certified, does not mean factory trained. You need to find someone who used to work at a dealer. Just ask for there credentials, and they should be able to show factory training. If they have never worked at a Jaguar dealer before than they can't be trained. The computer is very specialized, and most shops wont have one

As far as your car, the most likely cause is a bad ignition module/ amplifier. very common, and causes your problem exactly..

The local dealership relocated to another town; sold their mailing list to a place called Paul's Foreign Auto. They advertise that they work on Jags, but I need to know the right questions to ask. Exactly what type of computer should they have? Can one that hooks to an Audi also hook to a Jag? Also, what about the special tools needed for Jags? I just want to know some specific things to ask/say to a prospective repair shop so that I can be sure I'm not making a mistake in letting them work on my car and also to at least leave them with the impression that I know what I'm talking about so they don't jerk me around.
Unless the dealer sold their tools, to that independent, they won't have them. I would actually be surprised if they did. I would start by asking them what experiences they have with Jaguars. If they don't sound like they really know the product, than move on. You don't want to pay to educate there techs while working on your car.