Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1999 jaguar xj: 105,000 miles on it.Recently check engine light came…

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Jaguar...
I have a 1999 Jaguar XJ8l, with 105,000 miles on it.
Recently check engine light came on, then a message that indicated traction fail , then restricted performance came on..Car then began to only drive in 1 gear. Did not turn off, just drove slow, so I parked car.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jaguar
6/17/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Jaguar expert, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
Jaguar expert
Jaguar expert, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

The restricted performance messages very often caused by a problem with the throttle but can also be set by things like of trouble with the knock sensor . The traction Failed message could be associated with the same problem or maybe a separate problem such as a faulty wheel speed sensor . When these messages come up there will be trouble codes stored in the memory of the computer all we need to do is retrieve these trouble codes to see what kind of problem was being seen by the PCM at the time of the trouble . Some repair shops may not have a scan tool capable of reading all the information you may need to go there to the dealer and find out what the exact numericTrouble code is. After you find that let me know and I can help you pinpoint the cause much more carefully