Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

x-type: My 03 jag..does not start when I push in the clutch..sputter…

Customer Question
My 03 jag x-type does...
My 03 jag x-type does not start when I push in the clutch altho the battery seems fine. I get no click or sputter. A couple of times I've started it after reinstalling the battery but only once. I've tried pushing the button the clutch bumps but no responce.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Jaguar
6/9/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

How does the clutch peddle feel? Is the security led on the center console flashing very rapidly? Are there any warnings on the message center if one is fitted? Do all the accessories work? Did you try jump starting it just in case it was the battery? Have you checked the inertia switch?

the clutch peddle feels normal and gears shift fine..I see no warnings of any kind on the display...yes have tried jumping it off...I have lights a/c rafdio etc.

Where is the inertia swith? not sure what that is

First make sure that the inertia switch did not trip as this will cause the engine not to crank unlike other vehicles. This is located behind the passenger side kick panel. There is an access hole in the panel that you can put your finger through to depress the top of the switch to reset it. If that is ok then we can test the starting circuit right at the relay. Also let me know if that theft light is flashing.

I checked that inertia switch according to the drivers manual and your instruction. I had no responce that helped crank my jag. Also there is no theft light on.

what's this about the relay?

Ok lets go to the starter relay which is R10 in the engine compartment fuse box. Remove it and look on the relay pins as they should be numbered. With a voltmeter checking the relay socket make sure you have power on pin 3 and power when the key is turned to crank on pin 1. If both are present then jump pins 3 and 5 to see if it will crank. When doing this make sure the transmission is in neutral and have an assistant in the car holding the brake pedal.
I don't have a voltmeter..I'm not a mechanic. I own the jag
You can purchase a voltmeter at your local parts store.
Richard, Jaguar Technician