Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

jaguar: Car stays third gear after the engine gets hot...solenoid..ohm…

Customer Question
I have jaguar 1995 4.0...
I have jaguar 1995 4.0 l has code p0748 . Car stays third gear after the engine gets hot. pressure solenoid check 6 ohm. Can someone tell me what is the porblem with the transmission and how to fix it?
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Jaguar
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

If you clear this code does it return right away? How does the transmission shift before going into limp mode?

<p>if you reset the code, it goes away right away, but if your driving a couple of miles, they come back on and go into limp mode. When you turn the engine off and start the engine again it shifts normally and when you stop and go it comes back on and go to limp mode again. I checked the pressure solenoid, it 6.5 ohm </p>
Sounds like the problem may be mechanical like a stuck valve in the valve body. The solenoid resistance is 4.8-6.5 ohms so you are in spec which will rule out a solenoid or internal harness problem.
Richard, Jaguar Technician
How do i fix that

Transmission line pressure is controlled by the pressure control solenoid to produce hydraulic line pressure. The solenoid is located on the valve body. The TCM controls this solenoid the same as the shift solenoids by grounding it to activate it. The pressure control solenoid applies a hydraulic pressure signal from 0 - 4.8 psi. The duty cycle of the pressure control solenoid is regulated by the TCM. The TCM continuously monitors the pressure control solenoid drive and feedback signals for errors. A voltage greater than 3.5V activated or less than 2.5V OFF will flag DTC P0748 and cause the TCM to open the 12V solenoid feed control relay in the TCM. What you should also due is check the wiring from the TCM to the solenoid and also look at the TCM under the passenger side of the dash for signs of water.

<p>I took off the transmission valve body and i didn't see any stuck valves. I also changed the solenoid, checked the Y-harness inside the valve body, and checked the Y-harness from transmission 2 TCM abd also TCM does not have any signs of water or water damamge. PLease help me and tell me what you think is the reason for the problem.</p>
Ok since the solenoid resistance is within range and the wiring from the TCM to the solenoid is ok then the fault is mechanical inside the transmission. There may be a restriction from worn clutch material or possibly a internal seal leaking causing a pressure loss.

Edited by Richard on 6/2/2010 at 2:20 AM EST

Hi Richard,

Sometimes when I turn the key on, the trans ligth never goes off until I start engine, sometimes that light turn off when I turn the key on. What do you think about this? Is it normal or unnormal?