Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2001 s-type: 6cyl 3.0...racing in the tranny..downshifting…

Richard, I am a repeat...
Richard, I am a repeat customer and hope you can help me yet again. I have a 2001 s-type 6cyl 3.0. I started noticing some "racing" in the tranny and it would have a hard time downshifting. Today, it left me without reverse! I know that this is a sealed unit and is supposed to be "non-serviceable", but do I have anything that I can check or anything that may be happening that CAN be fixed? If not, what am I looking at regarding replacement parts and cost? Shane
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/25/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome back to justanswer.com

When this happened did the transmission fault warning or check engine light come on? Will the shifter go in and engage all the gears?

It gave a "gearbox fault" message and the engine light came on. The engine light has come on and off for a couple of weeks without issues. The shifter was hard to engage a couple of days ago, but I as on an incline and figured that it was just bound a bit. It did go into gear and seemed ok. It will NOT go through the gears, as it actually will move forward in neutral. Reverse is dead. I can manually go through the gears and this was the only way i was able to make it home after the lost reverse situation.

It sounds like a mechanical problem inside the transmission like a burnt clutch drum. The issue of it hard to shift when on an incline is due to the park pawl mechanism being at a point. The new part is rounded off to eliminate that problem. Since the check engine light and gearbox fault came on the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) had detected a fault and stores a code. Your vehicle is OBD II which means that a generic scan tool can be used to retrieve the fault codes. I recommend a trip to your local autozone or pepboys as they will usually scan for codes at no charge. Do not purchase any parts or authorize any repairs until you get back to me with the code numbers. Since you may have difficulty driving your vehicle then see if the parts store will loan you the scan tool.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX will try and hunt down a scan tool tomorrow and retrieve the codes. I will mail you when I have them for direction. Based on what you have seen and know, do you think that I am looking at a replacement situation? Do you have an idea of a best/worst case scenario as far as expense?

Have a good evening.

I have replaced many transmissions for this so I think that is where we are headed. See if you can get those fault codes to be sure.
what does a new/rebuilt run installed?
Depending on if it is a Jag rebuilt the cost will vary. To give you an idea the last transmission I installed was about $4200.00 parts and labor.

Richard,

I am going to get the codes and see what happens. If I find that it needs to be replaced, I will go that route. Thanks for your info. Do you happen to have experience with windows too? My passenger has issues. The motor seems to work, but it looks like there is a white nylon clip/part that has busted. There is a small cable that seems to have broken or at least gain slack when the clip broke. Do you have any idea of what I am talking about? Also, i want to pay you , but I am not sure if you will get this message.

Definitely see if you can get the codes. For the window the part you need is called the regulator. The plastic retainers and cables come as an assembly. The regulator comes without the motor so it will need to be swapped over to the new part.
Richard, Jaguar Technician