Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

1999 Jaguar XJ8: V8..Automatic..97,000 miles..running fine…

1999 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Two...
1999 Jaguar XJ8 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 97,000 miles

I have a 1999 Jaquar XJ8 with 97,000 miles. Up until a week ago, my car was running fine. One day it began to "jerk" suddenly as I was taking off. The Check Engine and Transmiision Fault light went on and the car accelerated very slowly. The best way to describe the sensation is if I was pulling a heavy trailer. Once I accelerated, the car eventually took off and starting running rather smoothly without any hesitation whatsoever. Upon arriving at a stop sign or red light, I experienced the pulling sensation once again. I'm guessing (hopefully wrong) that I may need a new transmission. Any advice or help that anyone could give me on this would be deeply appreciated.
5/22/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Jaguar expert, ASE Certified Technician replied 12 years ago
Jaguar expert
Jaguar expert, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

This is commonly a transmission problem , normally a problem with the converter itself . Sometimes the Computer Software can be RE flashed an upgraded from the handle this problem but usually the converter will have to be replaced . The first thing we need to do is using a scan tool read the trouble codes are stored in the memory of the computer and let me know what the exact numeric trouble codes are so we can pinpoint the trouble

Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The usual failure of the transmission is a burnt forward drum/clutch. What usually happens is the engine will rev up then bang into gear when accelerating from a stop. Since the gearbox fault light is on the code logged is most likely a P1722 for stall speed. In this case the transmission will need to be rebuilt or replaced. As far as the cost it is between $3500-$7500.00 depending on whether a Jag reman is used or your transmission is rebuilt. This is not a recall of any kind and there is no software upgrade for this just something we see on higher mileage vehicles. To be sure we will need the fault code stored in the TCM (Transmission Control Module). Since the check engine light comes on the ECM (Engine Control Module) had detected a fault and stores a code. Your vehicle is OBD II which means that a generic scan tool can be used to retrieve the fault codes. I recommend a trip to your local autozone or pepboys as they will usually scan for codes at no charge. Do not purchase any parts or authorize any repairs until you get back to me with the code numbers. The will be a P followed by four digits (P0300). This may give us more insight to the cause of the problem.

Sean,

I'm a first time owner of a Jaquar vehicle. I'm not that familiar with its parts, features,etc. In your response you mentioned that you can sometimes reflash the computer software and you also mentioned something about the troublecodes. First of all, how do you go about reflashing the computer software? Secondly, where is the computer located where I can find the troublecodes? Lastly, where can I locate / purchase the scanning tool that you mentioned? Is it only available at a Jaquar dealer? Do most general mechanics have one?

Respectfully,

XXXXX XXXXX

Hello Juan

I can tell you that reprogramming the TCM (Transmission Control Module) will not help this problem and you will be wasting money having it done. This reprogram can only be done at the dealer or European repair shop that has Jag diagnostic software. The TCM is located in the housing located in the passenger rear of the engine compartment. In order to have the system scanned for codes I recommend a trip to your local autozone or pepboys as they will usually scan for codes at no charge. A generic scan tool can be used to read the codes out of the ECM but a Jaguar scan tool needs to be used to read the codes from the TCM.

Richard, Jaguar Technician