Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2004 jaguar xj8: gearbox..car started..it 1 mile and parked it…

Customer Question
have a 2004 jaguar xj8...
have a 2004 jaguar xj8 with 108000 just got a gearbox defect signal car started to jerk and drive slowly drove it 1 mile and parked it. What should I do next.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Jaguar
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/12/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

I can tell you that the transmission in your vehicle is very strong and it is usually a software problem or torque converter causing this. Since the gearbox fault light came on the TCM (Transmission Control Module) has detected the fault and stores a fault code. This code will need to be read with a compatible scan tool and only a Jag compatible tool can communicate with the TCM. You can try a generic scan tool that most auto parts stores like pepboys or autozone uses but it will only be able to communicate with the ECM (Engine Control Module). Sometimes the transmission fault is stored in both the ECM and TCM and it may not even be a problem with the transmission and maybe an electronic throttle problem. See if you can get me the codes. It may look something like P0741.

Dealer says transmission need repair. Qoutes $4,000. Says code is 1700 or something like that.
See if you can get me the exact code. Usually the TCM should be reprogrammed first then if the code comes back it's mechanical.
Richard, Jaguar Technician