Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

2002 Jaguar S-Type: automatic..it from Park to Reverse..resistance…

I have 2002 Jaguar S-Type...
I have 2002 Jaguar S-Type, automatic. On Saturday, after driving most of the day normaly, I started a car and tried to put it from Park to Reverse. There was a resistance, and when I pulled the gear handle, the whole thing got loose (going from Park to Drive without any resistance, but it doesn't shift into any gear). The car works fine, but I cannot put it in Dtive or anywhere else. What that might be? My e-mail is:[email protected] Thank you.
4/27/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

When this happened were you parked on any kind of an incline? Can I have the last six digits of your VIN?

It was in a parking lot that has a slight incline. Front of the car was higher than a rear. I don't have VIN with me, since the car is not at my house. I could get those numbers, I just need to go through my papers (insurance, etc.).
Ok heres the problem. When on an incline, even slight the weight of your vehicle will rest on the park mechanism inside the transmission. Since it will be difficult to get the trans out of park the shifter usually breaks as the plastic part is the weakest. To fix this you will need to replace the shifter assembly. To prevent this from occurring again the internal mechanism needs to be replaced or the parking brake applied first before putting the shifter into park.

Sir, I appreciate your answer and will accept it. Before that, PLEASE, tell me this, based on your training and experience: Is the shifter assembly one compact part, is it possible to replace it with used one, and how big of a problem all of this is? Could this be replaced by regular transimission mechanics, or I need to go to the dealer?

A reason for this is, every mechanic tries to build a huge mistery about Jaguars and any work that needs to be done. Your answer is already helping me to confront them, but any details would help big time. Thank you so very much. I will put a good feedback in for you.

Yes the shifter comes as an assembly and yes it can be replaced with a used one if you can find an undamaged part. To replace it the center console needs to be removed. Then the shifter cable, ignition interlock cable and the screws holding the shifter to the body. This can be done by a qualified shop as it takes about 2 hours to do. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dear Sir,

your answer completely resonates with what I just found at www.professionalfleet.com . They offer modified replacement and explain in detail what is wrong with the shift assembly to begin with.

I think I know what to do from this point. I truly appreciate your responds. I will contact you in the future if I have more problems, and if I keep this car.

Thank you very much.

Zaim Zeljkovic, Omaha, Nebraska

You're welcome. Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Richard, Jaguar Technician