Jaguar

Jaguar Repair Problems? Ask a Jaguar Repairs Expert.

Jaguar

jaguar x type no reverse

Customer Question
jaguar x type no reverse
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Jaguar
4/24/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 7 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

That bolt is not the drain plug but the reverse band adjustment. When that bolt is removed the reverse band will spring out causing you to lose reverse gear. The problem is you cannot get this band back into place without disassembling the transmission.

I did visit a local transmission shop and they are going to investigate options for resetting the reverse band. I'm looking for a fix which doesn't require the trans to be disassembled.I'm told the vehicle can be driven without the reverse band secured.Any ideas come to mind ?

I did visit a local transmission shop and they are going to investigate options for resetting the reverse band. I'm looking for a fix which doesn't require the trans to be disassembled.I'm told the vehicle can be driven without the reverse band secured.Any ideas come to mind ? What I'm looking for is an alternatve entry point from which the band can be reset.There has to be a way!

The problem that when the band un wines it moves off the pin and cannot be reset outside the vehicle.

The band only expands 1/2 inch - correct?

Teh tension on the band with out the solenoid engaged should be only 5lbs or less?

Then,can access to the band be gained through the bolt on side panel wherein the half shaft enters trans, if the panel is removed?

Is there harm in driving the car?

Yes I would say when the fluid pressure is applied to the band piston it will move about 1/2 inch to stop the drum. The brake band acts in response to the servo to stop the direct clutch drum rotation. The servo has a piston that operates in response to changes in oil pressure. The piston expands in P and N ranges, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and reverse gears to stop the direct clutch drum rotation. The direct clutch drum rotation stops. The anchor end bolt is used to maintain appropriate clearance between the brake band and the direct clutch drum when the brake band is released. This clearance can be adjusted with the adjusting nut on the anchor end bolt. You will not be able to access this through that side of the trans.

Edited by Richard on 4/24/2010 at 10:47 PM EST

you state the piston expands on this band in P,N,1,2,3,4 and revers-is that correct?It would seem it only expads in reverse mode as it is the reverse band?

Please note :There is no adjustment on the pin i removed.

Can the car be driver in it's present state?

You should still have low gear. Try putting the shifter into 2 and it should engage.

The band has been secured without removal or disassembly of the trans.I bored two pin holes through the bolt pin at the pariminter 180 degrees oppsed and inserted guide pins to hold the bad eyelet in concentric position to the pin end upon insertion.The holes were then threaded and sealed with rubber seal backed screws .Now you know how to do it in less than two hours and save the cost of fluid replacement at 10 qts x $60 or 600 in fluid.

Please credit my account for unsatisfactory service. I have provided you with the correct method of repair in my last correspondence.
I will submit this for a refund.
Richard, Jaguar Technician