Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

Jaguar: transUnder normal acceleration the trans slips..engage..fitted…

Customer Question
Hi, I have just purchased...
Hi, I have just purchased a 2003 S tyre jaguar with 100000ks . It has a fz 6hp26 transUnder normal acceleration the trans slips, that is the engine revs as if in neutralthen willfind a gear and engage withbig jerk I took the car to a trans repair shop and they replaced clutches and o rings,Symptoms persisted Car taken to jag dealer and tcm was reprogrammed Same symptoms New transmission(second hand with warrantyfrom jag dealer) fitted and tcm reflashed Same symptoms Anything other than extreemly gentle acceleration will cause this to happen No faults show on diognostic computer Can you help?.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Jaguar
4/23/2010
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

First we need to make sure that most the transmission fluid level is correct. To fill or check the fluid the 8mm allen/hex fill plug located on the rear side of the trans case needs to be removed and fluid squirted into that hole. Once it flows out install but do not fully tighten the plug. Start the engine and go through the gears allowing the transmission to warm for a couple of minutes then refill it through that port until it flows out while the engine is running. This needs to be done on level ground or on a lift. The fluid should be checked between 30-40 degrees C. Usually clearing the transmission adaptations and reprogramming the TCM fixes this. If the clear and reprogram did not fix this then the most likely problem is the TCM itself. The TCM is part of the valve body and it will need to be programmed as a new module with a Jag level service tool.

Hi Richard, allof the suggestions you made have allready been done, Regards XXXXX XXXXX
Yes but you stated a second hand unit was installed and the original unit was repaired but the TCM not replaced. Ask the dealer if they cleared the adaptations and completed the drive cycle. If they did then I would say based on the info that the TCM/mechatronic is the problem.
Hi Richard, 2nd hand trans came with its own mechatronic and whole unit had been previously tested. Dealer cleared adaptations and completed drive cycle. Regards R.D.

Ok the first step is diagnosing this is to clear the adaptations and reprogram the TCM. Since that has already been done then it is most likely mechanical. Since that second hand unit has a warranty this should be fixed for you by the dealer.