Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

XJ: stays.., and now it wont restart, and the shift lever wont move…

I shifted my XJ-8 from...
I shifted my XJ-8 from Drive to Park, but why the shifter moved to park, the transmission stopped in reverse. The shifter will not move out of park and the transmission stays in reverse. I shut the car off, and now it won't restart, and the shift lever won't move. With the key on, the shift indicater lights up R, and the backup lights come on.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/22/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Richard, Jaguar Technician replied 12 years ago
Richard, Jaguar Technician

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com

The cause of your problem is loose or missing shift cable bolts. You need to jack up the driver side of your vehicle and follow the shifter cable to where it attaches to the transmission. You should see two 8mm bolts which may be loose or even have fell out.

Richard, Jaguar Technician