Jaguar

Jaguar repair problems? Ask a Jaguar repairs Expert.

I have a jaguar XK*8 1997. The steering wheel will not move,

Customer Question
I have a jaguar XK*8...
I have a jaguar XK*8 1997. The steering wheel will not move, the key will not turn so I cannot start the car. What should I do (seems like an auto burglary lock? How can I start it? Thanks!!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Jaguar
10/26/2009
Jaguar Mechanic: Jagmaster, Jaguar Technician replied 8 years ago
Jagmaster
Jagmaster, Jaguar Technician
It sounds like the wheel lock is jambed. You need to lift the front wheel off the ground, and then I suspect you'll find it will be easy to turn both.
I do not think that is the case, in that this has happened previously and it was always tied to the security system. The battery had died, but was recharged. Then the car locked up and one could not turn the key to start the engine or move the steering wheel. Does that make sense? Any other suggestions? Thanks!!
The steering wheel lock is a mechanical system that operates directly off of the ignition switch tumblers. I would try spraying some lube down the lock to see if you can get that switch to loosen up and recognize the key. Also you might try a different key. Does the security light blink any differently when you insert it?
It was something flucky before like shaking the steering wheel. But now my door is locked so I cAnnot get into the car. Something with the burglar alarm?